Jay Pipes wrote:
>> On the questions at hand, here are my thoughts:
>>
>> 1) satellite.openstack.org - we talked about setting something similar
>> up a long time ago around Related Projects but never had the
>> bandwidth. I think if we can get user curation tools in there so
>> there's some form distributed quality control and rating, I'd be ok
>> with it. I would not be in favor of using the domain for something
>> that becomes a free for all junkyard. It sounds like these concepts
>> are scoped into Marton's plans, but I don't know how far along they
>> are in execution.
>
> Agreed wholeheartedly.

I'd prefer if we could test-drive the site to check how the editorial
control works first. Maybe it should be given a server instance from the
infrastructure pool, so that it can be set up on a temporary domain name
(or IP address). Then we can check if it's up to snuff, and grant the
openstack.org name ?

>> 2) java package naming - I'd prefer to run this through the standard
>> incubation process if he's going to want to start naming packages
>> org.openstack.*. I definitely wouldn't want to start naming packages
>> like that for random java code. Is a java client library something
>> that we'd like to see as part of OpenStack or as an unofficial project
>> in the Satellite context.
>
> Satellite, I believe...

Incubation is for projects that are likely to be "core" projects one
day. I don't think language bindings beyond the reference implementation
belong to core. That doesn't mean they can't be blessed as "official"
projects, it's just that their incubation process is not the core
incubation process.

My Java naming knowledge may be a bit rusty, but I feel uncomfortable
having Java packages under org.openstack that are actually not built by
"openstack.org", but by a subgroup using its own development
infrastructure. Shouldn't the package name reflect the origin of the
package ? Shouldn't those be under es.woorea.openstack or something ?

--
Thierry