On Fri, 22 Jun 2012, Alexey Ababilov wrote:

> Hi, Scott!
>
> I knew that the password was already on the cirros image. However, we (Grid
> Dynamics engineers) faced a strange problem:
> 1) if an instance is launched without an ssh key, you can login using the
> password (generated by nova in our case);
> 2) if an instance is launched _with_ an ssh key, you cannot login using
> either password or the ssh key.

I've not seen this myself.  could you provide a console log
(euca-get-console-output) of the image that is broken?  And exactly what
cirros image you're using? (ie, the disk.img or the uec tarbal...)

I really can't imagine anything that would mess up password based auth
with the cirros user.

> So, VM's filesystem synchronization can be a dark and tricky thing. That's
> why we are not guaranteed to login by password even if the password was
> stored in the image originally.

Sure, I wouldn't recommend password based auth anyway.  It is only enabled
in the cirros image as its intent is test.  please do not run cirros
images with default password for anything important.