Andreas Jaeger wrote:

  Idea: Snapshotting at gdm/kdm time: Write a snapshot and resume at
  the next boot back to this version.  This is different from suspend
  to disk.

the différence needs to be explained (in "function" way, not in "implementation" way) : what are the différences for the user?

In fact, I usually don't use suspend because when I need a start, it's rarely to continue the very same work I did at shutdown. (usually I beging lurking at my mail and need this fast, the remaining can wait or be done in the background)

Notice than the competitor (at least XP) displays its desktop very soon, but there is still some time before anywork can be done. on the contrary, when Kde is started it's immediately available.

this is very typical of the OS way of life: Linux want to be effective, Win to be good looking. However, in this precise case, may be we could take a snapshot (just an image of the desktop - is that the snpshot you speak about there up?) of the screen that will be restored?? (not sure I should like it :-)

* Shrink the basepackages (packages always installed for building)

  With todays changes we seem to be able to do a self-contained

should be a good idea to have a pattern "old fashioned base system" for people used to what is now openSUE :-)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
Lucien Dodin, inventeur