On Sunday 24 June 2007 11:11:35 wrote Hans Witvliet:
> On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 18:38 -0400, Cristian Rodriguez R. wrote:
> > Alexey Eremenko escribió:
> > > I believe SUSE should not be limited by Xen-only approach.
> >
> > and I believe openSUSE should do one thing, and do it right, not many
> > half working virtualization alternatives.
>
> You wrote about OpenSuSE:
> But isn't that the essential idea behind "the open source community"?
> Walk all paths (by the people who know what they are doing).
> The best (working/supported) solution will gain the most users.
>
> If you only present a single option, people can not choose...
> (Same goes with kde/gnome any many other sw-packages, not?)
>
> If the O.P. can develop a working xen-alternative and put it on the
> build-server: fine by all means. Community, and the suse team will look
> at it and evalute it. If it's more-of-the-same, it won't be picked up.
> If it's better, or has more potential, well, who knows...

To avoid such problems, we created the "Project Modell" in the build service.
This means that everything can get available there under the way and control
by the people who contributing to that project.

But this does not mean that everything has to go to Factory. There are even
additional rules which needs to be fullfilled for Factory like:

 * common user interesst ( I think this is true for openVZ ).
 * quality and esp. security design flaws needs to be checked before
 * Maintainance needs to be ensured for two years. That needs a person
   who understand the code internals and can backport or create fixes for
   the version which was part of the release. Can we ensure this ?

bye
adrian

--

Adrian Schroeter