John Andersen wrote:
On Friday 23 March 2007, Michael Schroeder wrote:
On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 05:43:27PM +0100, Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:
Fredag 23 marts 2007 17:30 kvad Carlos E. R.:
The Friday 2007-03-23 at 16:44 +0100, Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:
How do I tell YOU to not reset my custom permissions for /root/ ?
Could you elaborate, please?
What are those permissions you are refering to?
The permissions for the directory /root
I have set it to be viewable by all.
Every time YOU runs it resets the permissions so that only root can
view the directory.
Check out the entry for /root in /etc/permissions. (It's not YOU
that resets the permissions, but SuSEconfig). I think you can
overwrite this entry with a custom entry in the /etc/permissions.local
file.

Cheers,
  Michael

I'm amazed at Michael's ability to hand out this information
(apparently with a straight face) to a user who didn't know how
to do this (suggestive of someone fairly new to linux), without
even once pointing out what a dumb idea this is.

please, don't be so harsh, given you don't add either any info :-(

May I say (in my poor english) that:

* the /root permissions are setup by Yast for very good reason (security... too many to be discussed shortly)
* it's possible to make the modification said in the permissions file
* this must not be done without extreme caution.

May I also say that the OP didn't post the very reason he have to try to do so. For whatever reason he have decided to modify root permissions. Can he give us this very reason (if it's possible to discuss it in a public list), there are _certainly_ more adequate solutions, without the security drawbacks.

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
Lucien Dodin, inventeur