On Jan 28, 2008 10:15 AM, Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My system has started running very slow, and the root directory is reported as
> having no free space. I've found a file /proc/kcore which is the probable
> culprit, being about 1000MB, with today's date, but even root is not allowed
> to move or delete this file.
>
> My system looks like this:
>
> Device          Size            Mount point     Free
> sda2            965.1MB /               0B
> sda3            60.8MB          /boot           46.8MB
> sda5            9.8GB           /usr            4.9GB
> sda6            2.0GB           /var            1.2GB
> sda7            2.0GB           /opt            906.3MB
> sda8            1011.4MB        /tmp            926.4MB
> sda9            257.3GB /home           154.1GB

/proc is virtual file system, which resides in memory, not on disk.
Even some files are not actually in memory, but when you read them,
you actually receive information from the kernel.
In your case, read here for /proc/kcore:
<http://www.unixguide.net/linux/faq/04.16.shtml>

Run the command "df" to see the how your partitions are filled in.
Run "top" to see which process consumes more resources.

Note, that if you run firefox for several days w/o stopping it, it may
eat a lot of resources.

Cheers

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.