Hi!

Not sure where this belongs -- to Gnome or KDE or this list, as it
involves both KDE and GTK -- but I decided to try here first.

I'm running a relatively fresh 10.3 installation, which was installed from
the scratch, not upgraded from an earlier version.

If I run Gnome, and choose the HighContrastInverse theme, everything works
as expected. However, on KDE I first did not get it to work at all: There
was the GTK Styles and Fonts module in KControl, and first I set there
for GTK apps the said theme (as I had done on both 10.2 and 9.3, where it
had worked flawlessly.)

Now, though, the GTK apps did not seem to respect this setting. Their
colour theme would not change, not even after restarting KDE, but instead
seemed to default to some basic whitish theme.

I then tried removing the kcm-gtk thing by removing the rpm and
reinstalling it (I had also updated to the latest STABLE repo RPM's) but
that did no good. The theme just would not change.

Next I again removed the kcm thing, and installed an app called
gtk-chtheme, that allows one to change the GTK theme on KDE. Well, it
actually worked -- the theme gets changed. However, there's an issue: The
GTK file open/save dialogs DO NOT show correctly: They show a white
background where there should be a darkish background (i.e. the
folder/files list + the list on the left). Otherwise they have the
typical dark background and correct text colour. The dialogues are
rendered somewhat challenging to use, as they thereby show white text on
white/pale background that seems to be from some other theme, maybe from
the default one?

I've checked and manually tried editing
the /usr/share/themes/HighContrastInverse/gtk-2.0/gtkrc. None of the
colour values there seem to have any effect on this dialogue. What is
more, the dialogue is rendered with the correct colours under Gnome. On
10.2 and 9.3 I never had this problem. On the other hand, there the
KControl GTK-Style component worked as expected, i.e. it actually changed
the theme.

I now have a ~/.gtkrc-2.0 that says:

****
# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT
include "/usr/share/themes/HighContrastInverse/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

include "/home/tero/.gtkrc.mine"

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT
****

which seems correct, although there is no such file as ~/.gtkrc.mine

Since I had an old backup with some old modified version of my 10.2
HighContrastInverse gtkrc, I even tried replacing the stock one with that
old version, to but no avail. Still the dialogue retains that whitish
background under KDE for the files/folder list and the list on the left
that has Home, Filesystem etc. links.

So I put back the original version of the theme. It says it includes all
that is needed in that one gtkrc.

Now I no longer know what to do. What could affect or determine the
colours on the file/folder list and and the left-ahnd-side lsits
backgrounds?

Maybe the answer lies in why the kcm-gtk component is not working?
However, this is strange, as one would have expected it to work on a
fresh installation. It never worked at any point, and it was one of the
first things I tried after having installed 10.3 and changed some fonts
etc.

If anyone had any ideas how to investigate this, it would be most helpful.
Google finds nothing that would relate to this problem. Does that
KControl's GTK-Styles component work on other's 10.3 systems?

Thanks,
Tero Pesonen