On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 08:30:17AM +0100, Rickard Öberg wrote:
> Mike Cannon-Brookes wrote:
> >Some points that people seem to be forgetting:
> >- Xwork is in the SANDBOX and is eXperimental (if you like the X for that)
> >- Nothing in Xwork can't be changed, these are ideas, prototypes
> >- Xwork will be better for 'web work' than WebWork is!
> >- Xwork will be better for 'non web work' than WebWork is, _WITHOUT_
> >impacting people who don't care for 'non web work'
>

> That WebWork turned out to be a generic command pattern was more of an
> accident then by design. Because of this genericity WebWork is not
> optimally designed for doing web work. Some of the "plumbing" needs to
> be done by actions themselves, instead of having it be done by the
> framework. I want to make WebWork/XWork *better* suited for the web,
> because that is what *I* *need*. I want to get more for less. I don't
> give a damn about making it work well in Swing. If it does, then
> whaddyaknow, cool. If it doesn't, shit happens. If there's ever a point
> where I need to decide between "keeping genericity, or making it work
> better for the web", the latter is a given. My recent emails have
> explained some of what I want to do in this area (introducing packages
> and components for example). Some of those are VERY web-centric, and
> that *IS THE POINT*.

I think we should keep swing clients out of the discussion at the
moment. Although I do not have very much experience with swing clients,
the design patterns differ from the request->response pattern of web or
rpc clients. So I see no problem in pushing the development slightly
away from the web to a more generic request->response pattern.

-billy.

--
Meisterbohne       Söflinger Straße 100          Tel: +49-731-399 499-0
   eLösungen       89077 Ulm                     Fax: +49-731-399 499-9