Maybe the way that FreeBSD does their source management would be a good
approach for ww/xwork/open symphony?

They always have HEAD/CURRENT which is the latest and greatest, they then
branch off from there to create the various versions.

For example:

XWORK 2.0 would be HEAD/CURRENT
1.3
1.2
1.1

If there is any significant change that is necessary from an architectural
point of view that would become part of HEAD or CURRENT. If there is a bug
that is found in CURRENT or 1.3 the developers would then move the fix (lets
say it was a simple varObject = null; fix) to each source tree to that users
of the code could maintain their versions. As more and more versions of the
code come out (and more stable versions) people will not necessary update
their code for a production site.

I know that they systems I work with have a very rigorous regression testing
process because of the critical nature of the application. Having to move
the code to a new version may seem like a small thing, but I would never
feel comfortable betting my clients million dollar mission critical
applications on it.

Justen Stepka