A whole big bunch of people. If you want to show progress of batch processes, a web app is probably the absolutely stupidest way of doing it. A request/response paradigm is a pretty foolish way of providing continuous feedback. A swing client would be a far better choice.

I'm not knocking down webapps, I just think that it's important to call things what they are. J2EE is a published spec, there's no particular merit to using all it has to offer, nor is there particular merit in only using servlets. Calling an xwork/webwork2 solution with hibernate a J2EE app, to me at least, seems dishonest. This not not a comment on the quality of said app, in fact, chances are it works a hell of a lot better than a 'traditional' jsp/ejb/jms/whatever 'J2EE' app, but lets stick to calling things what they are, rather than what we'd like them to be.

On Sunday, August 17, 2003, at 10:00 PM, Jason Carreira wrote:

So who's building full J2EE apps without a web front end (at least for the adminsitration)? Even someone doing big batch processes needs to see how they're progressing sometimes...

-----Original Message-----
From: Hani Suleiman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2003 8:38 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [OS-webwork] Simplicity of WW2 - Practical ideas

Just to play the devil's advocate, people using full J2EE are unlikely to be huge xwork/webwork fans anyway. Unless of course you mean servlets/web containers, rather than J2EE. As surprising as it is, an app with xwork, webwork, lucene, hibernate, sitemesh, and oscache is not a particularly J2EE app. All it uses is jdbc (now part of the core JDK) and servlets.