From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Robert Dawson
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 1:50 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [OS-webwork] that keyword...

I am sorry to bring up what must be a topic people are sick of by
now....
but why "that" for the top of the value stack --

there are other words that would be better.  "that" sounds like a bad
joke.

how about "top"

"stackTop"

or something similar. (even better would be a 1 character keyword).

I understand that this might break some code, but the "that" keyword
seems
so wrong.  The people I have talked to about it seem to either think
that
the "that" keyword is either a bad joke or when talking about someone is
refering to something else.  ie that is how you do it -- I have seen
alot of
"interesting" changes made between webwork 1 and 2 and would find that
the
expression language change to OGNL one of the more frustrating.

I can understand that the webwork 1 expression language didn't always
follow
what Ruby people love to call the "principal of least suprise", a good
quality for any API, but as a general rule, it was good at working with
ValueStack.  OGNL seems to be a good object navigation language, but I
don't
think that the value stack interaction is right.  Treating the stack as
an
array in OGNL feels wrong to me. I know that the use of "." for the top
of
the stack doesn't make sense with OGNL, but would love it if one of the
smart people out there could come up with something that did.

I apolagise for the length of that and the ranty nature of the e-mail.
WebWork 1 is a great framework, WebWork2 adds some nice features, and I
want
the best for it (honest :)).

Rob