I thought of a pointless insult. ;-)

We used this pattern in a large application and it worked well. BTW, for
Hani's edification
(http://www.jroller.com/page/fate/20031029#opensymphony_dirty_laundry),
this is not a toy application, but rather a large app that manages
billions of dollars per year for a State entity.

I don't have an opinion as to whether it should be added to
ActionSupport, but I'm curious as to where people think the line should
be drawn. Why should this be added to ActionSupport as opposed to your
own subclass? (We all have subclassed ActionSupport or rolled our own,
haven't we?)

BTW, not a major issue (for us), but it would break our subclass of
ActionSupport that throws a more specific exception.

protected String handleException(Throwable t) throws
ApplicationException;