Hi Lee,

I had exactly the same problem - I use Mageia normally rather than Ubuntu.

What you need to do is right click on the desktop. The bottom menu option, which now says Applications for me but for you will still be in German, expands to a sub-menu. The fifth item in the sub-menu has a spanner and screwdriver and is Settings (which is again in German for you). This also expands to a sub-menu. The fifth item in this sub-menu has a squiggly blue icon and says something like sprachen as I recall (it now says Language Support for me). Open this.

You now get a page which is not obvious what to do. Deutsch and English appear in a list. What isn't clear is that you can drag English to the top of the list. Click on the close button (red X at bottom right).

Now restart - blue icon at top left of screen with white downward arrow, then bottom menu option with an orange arrow to the right. In the dialogue that then appears, click the blue circular arrow (this is restart). After the reboot, the language will now be English. Using the same menu item, you can also change to English locale. I haven't worked out how to get a non-German keyboard on the server yet though!

All the best,

Mark