Am 06.12.2016 um 22:02 schrieb Gert Doering:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 05:43:56AM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
>> Am 11.11.2016 um 23:10 schrieb Gert Doering:
>>> I might be tempted to do a quick 2.3.14 release in between - there's two
>>> important platform fixes in that branch now (FreeBSD and OpenBSD topology
>>> subnet :-) ) and Lev's recursive routing patch.  Add to that the windows
>>> block-outside-dns patch that I hope to be testing this weekend, and it's
>>> worth a minor bugfix release...  at least "before January".
>> Well, for me to update the FreeBSD port, mid December 2016 would be cool
>> for anything (2.3.14, or 2.4.0, or both) due to the before-xmas-madness
>> and to have like two weeks for smoke testing.
> Here we go :-) - Nikolaus present, 2.3.14.
>
> 2.4_beta2 is waiting for someone to bump the openvpn-devel port, but
> everyone is busy, it seems (PR#214930).
>
> I wonder what the best approach towards 2.4 in ports would be, though -
> introduce an openvpn23 port, and bump "openvpn" to 2.4.0 when that
> happens?  Or introduce it as "openvpn24"?

I've updated the port to 2.3.14 last night (there was a glitch that
didn't affect OpenVPN but cost my time), and have just committed the
FreeBSD Bugzilla's #214930.

Assuming we trust the future OpenVPN 2.4.0 enough, the canonical way for
me will be to copy openvpn 2.3.14 to a new port named openvpn23, mark it
deprecated with an expiration half a year from then or 2017-06-30 so it
doesn't make the 2017Q3 "quarterly" stable branch, and update the plain
port from 2.3.14 to 2.4.0.  All other concerns as we see fit.

> "operating system wise", 2.4.0 should be as good on FreeBSD as 2.3.14
> (because all the platform fixes went into both branches), but there
> might be hidden bugs lurking in the "non-client, non-platform" bits
> that are new in 2.4
Sure, but that needs testing. I wonder if we temporarily need -rc ports
on top of the existing -devel. Expect - due to the pre-XMas madness  -
that I need a few days to reply though. Anything important with the
OpenVPN-related FreeBSD ports, Cc: me directly.