On Thu, 2016-12-15 at 21:20 +0100, David Sommerseth wrote:

> There is also another potential issue with the current approach, if we link
> against r129 or older ... the code will be using
> LZ4_compress_limitedOutput().  If the system library is upgraded to a newer
> upstream version which finally removes LZ4_compress_limitedOutput(), OpenVPN
> will break.

Unless upstream is doing insane things and the distributions are
failing to do their job and catch it, removing a function would require
changing the soname; it could no longer be liblz4.so.1.

If your binary package requires liblz4.so.1 then it needs to be
present. That's always been the case. The existence of *another*
library, even if it has a similar name like liblz4.so.2, is utterly
irrelevant. There's no *new* problem here.