On 07/02/17 11:23, Илья Шипицин wrote:
> as for compliance check, it will always annoy people if it is something
> written somewhere. people will forget to have a look at it.
> can we involve something like that
>
> https://github.com/openresty/lua-nginx-module/blob/master/.travis.yml#L61-L62
> ?

That check is to test the *code*.  It does not apply to this discussion
at all, as we are here primarily discussing commit messages.  And such a
checks makes no sense on commit messages.  Some times it is needed to
exceed 80 characters, as log lines are quoted to explain what happened
and give reasons for why the patch is needed.

For quality checks, for both code and commit messages, good developers
usually tries to ensure everything is set and in order *before*
submitting a patch.  Heck, most I know even tries to ensure that things
are proper before doing the local commit.  Many calls this process the
"personal hygiene step".  It's a fairly good description of the
importance of doing so.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth