On 27/02/17 23:06, James Yonan wrote:
> On 25/02/2017 08:40, Steffan Karger wrote:
[...snip...]
>> I'd say so.  Something like:
>>
>> legacy: RSA 1024+, SHA1+, all curves
>> default: RSA 2048+, SHA2+, all curves
>> suiteb: no RSA, SHA256/SHA384, P-256/P-384
>>
>> As long as we kick anything that's deprecated out of 'default', that
>> should probably suffice.
>
> That sounds good, but I'm thinking that we should probably name
> "default" something else, such as "standard", so there's no confusion
> between the cert profile name, and which cert profile is chosen by
> default which may vary according to app preferences/settings.
>
> For example in mobile clients, we would probably need an app-level
> setting to indicate whether "legacy" or "standard" should be the
> default, but that would be confusing if "default" was actually a profile
> name.

There's a narrow edge here before it becomes bike-shedding; I do try to
avoid that ... but what about:  legacy, preferred and suiteb ?

"Standard" just sounds a bit too static to me, that is not something
which changes much.  So in 5 or 10 years from now, "standard" may just
as much be "legacy".  Hence my suggestion for "preferred"; this is what
we prefer now.  "legacy" is what we used and can even include what we
preferred earlier.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth