Hi,

did anybody test backfire openwrt release on asus wl-500gp v1 with ram upgraded to 128MB?

I had the router running with custom build of 8.09 kamikaze branch patched to support 128MB of ram.

Then I compiled backfire branch from svn completely from scratch with custom config, flashed it properly using previously running 8.09 setup with mtd tool from serial console, *rebooted properly to backfire with reboot command*, set root password over telnet running the backfire (verified kernel version of backfire with uname, 'free' reported 128MB ram), tried to reboot again with reboot command but it just hangs. Powered it off, still hangs. No output at all on serial console, not even CFE boot log.

So I assume that bootable backfire firmware did something in the first boot with flash setup (overwrote CFE boot loader?), so it cannot boot anymore.

Do you think that this is at all possible?

Could for example selection of more utilities built in to the rootfs or bigger kernel cause overflow of mtd partition into CFE area after the first boot, when writable partition gets initialized?
Or maybe nvram settings for RAM configuration got overwritten?

I would like somebody to help me analyze, what caused the problem, even when there is no help to recover the router. I can provide any configs used to build the image or the image itself, if anybody wanted to have a look. Please note, I am posting this to developer's mailing list as I see this as possible bug in backfire openwrt branch and I would like to analyze, what caused the problem - it had to be in the sw or the configuration.

Thanks and best regards,
Jan