Would it be too much to ask for those expending time on this debate,
to expend a little extra time doing some code review and testing this
patch?

Or, like while the flames are being composed, merely sending data through it?

This particular patch improves ipv4 by over 10% especially when used
with the sfq and sfqred qdiscs, fixes encapsulation for ipsec (both
ipv4 and ipv6), and yes, more than doubles ipv6 performance on the
ag71xx.

Although simple in outline, it is pretty invasive into core bits of
the kernel. I wish it wasn't, but the alternatives (have the driver
rebuffer misaligned packets) were far worse for performance, and the
final patch isn't all that big.

I agree with felix's suggestion to not let __packed leak out of the
kernel headers, and will respin the patch for that. I'm dubious that
the check alignment and branch is actually all that useful in the ipv6
checksum code, too, on an arch with a small cache.

And I'm still trying to track down the last causes of traps in the
routing path, and several other ipv6 and ipv4 related bugs. I'm pretty
sure that the traps in the routing path have caused many a tcp reset
for me over the last year, under load.

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/issues/371

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/issues

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/issues/360