Felix Fietkau <n...@openwrt.org> writes:

> I've seen this happen to other open source related projects using
> Marvell hardware as well, so the big question is whether Belkin can put
> enough pressure on them to get the source code released.
>
> Even if that happens, the source code will most likely need a rewrite or
> an insane amount of cleanup, as is typical for proprietary wifi drivers
> in the embedded space.
>
> There are many signs that if released, the source code to this driver is
> going to be horrible: weird function names, big module size, use of
> custom vendor-specific hostapd and wpa_supplicant drivers. This is most
> likely going to take a long time to resolve.

I know these comments are based on experience, but I still feel you are
a bit too pessimistic here :-)

After all, we do have the mwl8k driver in mainline and Marvell has
commited a lot to that, including the 8764 bits.  It's not too unlikely
that they will add 8864 support as well, is it?  And wrt the size: Some
of this is probably due to firmware being built into the module.  And
some is debugging symbols.  The rest is of course bloat mostly caused by
unnecessary reimplementation.

Bjørn