I had to read my book to find the answer to this one ;)

If you specify (at least under 8.1.5):
    alter table tabX drop column colX;
then there is no checkpoint and you generate
the worst volume of rollback.

If you specify:
    alter table tabX drop column colX checkpoint NNN;
then you checkpoint every NNN rows.

If you specify:
    alter table tabX drop column colX checkpoint;
without a rowcount, then you checkpoint every 512 rows.

You post doesn't include the checkpoint keyword,
so I guess you hit the top option.

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminar - UK, April 3rd - 5th

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 26 March 2002 04:08