I am not currently working in an AIX environment; but when I did (and it was
4.3 with 8.1.6/7) we always set timed_statistics=true with no adverse
effects.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 8:24 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Good morning everyone -

Quick poll for those of you on 8.1.7 and AIX 4.3.3:

Do you have TIMED_STATISTICS = true?  Have you encountered any problems with
it?

The databases I inherited have this set false all over the place, hence my
tuning efforts are really limited.  However I don't want to change it
without checking around first.

And a tuning question:

This environment (peoplesoft) is very very low on memory.  When the app
servers and databases are up there's less than 50MB of memory free.  Adding
hardware is not a choice here.

The databases have 100MB set for the SGA.  It really looks like not much
thought went into some of the parm settings.

What I've read about tuning says that you must have a goal in mind.  Well,
afaik nothing is "broken", nothing is suffering - then again, no one really
paid much attention to Oracle.  It was up, fine, move on.  Am I on the wrong
path if my goal for tuning is to figure out if I can reduce the size of the
SGA and redo logs without adversely affecting performance?

Any comments are appreciated.  Thanks everyone

Lisa Koivu
Oracle Dingbat Administrator
Fairfield Resorts, Inc.
5259 Coconut Creek Parkway