Keep in mind that, unless they've changed the function, spool also searches the
sqlpath for files.

If you say:
spool modify_users.sql
select 'alter user '||username||'whatever;' from dba_users;
spool off

Spool just looked in your current directory for a file named modify_users.sql to
replace, then it followed your sqlpath for a file to replace (file permissions
allowing), if it doesn't find one then it creates one in your current directory.

Author: Anderson, Brian