Jose,

In my experience - long ago - managing dates rarely involved Boolean logic,
which is Two Valued Logic, True or False.  Instead, they involved MVL
(Multi-Valued Logic) with the most common return value being one of a
bewildering assortment of INDETERMINATE variations, followed by frequent
FALSE return values, and extremely rare occurrances of the TRUE return
value.

Perhaps an example query and its results will illustrate.

Me:  "So Pam, can we make it a date Saturday night?  Say, dinner and a
movie?"

Possible responses, with actual MVL result for "Will there be a Date?":

Pam: "Oh gosh, I'd love to, but not this weekend."          - INDETERMINATE
Pam: "Let me check my calendar and I'll get back to you."   - INDETERMINATE
Pam: "I'll have to wait and see how the week goes."   - INDETERMINATE
Pam: "Sorry, I've got other plans that night."        - FALSE
Pam: "HA HA HA HA HA..." (hysterical laughter)        - FALSE
Pam: "Sure, pick me up at 8:00."                      - TRUE  (very rare)

Those observations with the usual caveat - YMMV.    ;-)

Jack C. Applewhite
Database Administrator
Austin Independent School District
Austin, Texas
512.414.9715 (wk)
512.935.5929 (pager, [EMAIL PROTECTED])
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      Jose Luis Delgado

                      <joseluis_delgado        To:       Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      @yahoo.com>              cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Boolean dates...

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      .com

                      10/22/2003 10:19

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      ORACLE-L

Hi to all!

We have an old app that manages something that my boss
calls: boolean dates.

He told me that exists an algorithm that manages dates
as a boolean format.

We have several tables in this form:

Note: The following table: PAAM
has the field BDATE defined as NUMBER.

sql> select bdate from paam
sql> where rownum < 6

BDATE
----------
728464
728434
728403
728495
728283

now, I need to convert that format to an
'understandable' format to get the old data and old
dates.

I'm looking (google-ing) for that subject but, without
luck.

any ideas? help?, pls...

Thanks in advance

Regards!