There's a failure in the statistics at this point.
As far as I can tell, there are at least four different
reasons why the stats can report a
    parse count (total)
without recording a
    parse count (hard)
and it would be nice if we could see them as four
different statistics.

Code that explicit holds a cursor open need
not issue a parse call at all.

Code that issues a parse call may:
    Invoke the whole parse/optimize cycle
    Invoke a permissions cycle on an existing statement
    Invoke a search and execute cycle on an existing statement with valid
permission
    Invoke a 'this is where it is and I know I've got permission, so just do
it' cycle

The last option can appear when you set up
    session_cached_cursors != 0.

The front-end code is still issuing an explicit parse call,
which is why you see the parse count go up, but the
work done is kept to near minimum.

NOTE: This description is probably not complete
and I'd welcome any corrections and refinements
that anyone can supply.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

Next public appearance2:
 March 2004 Hotsos Symposium - Keynote
 March 2004 Charlotte NC - OUG Tutorial
 April 2004 Iceland