OrigamiUSA is committed to continuously improve our services to our
members, towards the mission of sharing the joy of paperfolding. For the
2014 convention we will be experimenting by offering a platform for you to
feel as if you are right with us, even if you can’t attend in person. Using
an online virtual class technology, you will be able to join selected
classes remotely, with the possibility to ask questions of the instructor
and interact with the other class attendees, as in on-site classes.

When you register for a class, which has a nominal $5 fee and is available
only to members, you will receive a communication with details, guidelines
and instructions to attend the class. You will need a computer connected to
the Internet and a browser that supports the platform (test instructions
will be included in the communication). We hope we will have successful
online classes, and that you will be able to help us support expanding the
joy of folding. Note: if there is a problem with the experiment, your money
will be refunded immediately.

There are images of the models to be taught, here:

https://origamiusa.org/convention2014_preview_sat_sun

You can register for these classes, here:

https://origamiusa.org/convention2014_remoteclasses

Here are the classes that will be available:

Saturday, 11 to 11:45am

Nick Robinson, Animals, Animals

Level: Low Intermediate

dog, and Sue's flapper (a baby bird).

Saturday, 12:30 to 1:30pm

Erik and Martin Demaine

Level: Not Rated

The Demaines will discuss recent results and developments in their research
on computational origami, folding robots, and curved crease sculpture.

Sunday, 10 to 10:45am

Robert Lang Rif-Rif Bird

Level: Intermediate

This is a rigidly-foldable, rigidly-flapping bird (similar to Randlett's
New Flapping Bird). Although this design takes only few folds, it makes use
of precise reference points and has a double-reverse-fold, so it's not
simple.

Sunday, 2 to 2:45pm

Isa Klein Anthea

Level: Intermediate

Anthea is a cross between a star and a flower. It can be assembled with 3,
4 or 5 modules, all resulting in a pleasing final model. This creation was
inspired by observing the angles of a previous creation. It is marvelous to
observe the kind of freedom that the paper allows!

Monday, 10 to 11:45am

Jeremy Shafer Design Workshop

Level: Low Intermediate

In this class we will first brainstorm ideas for subjects to fold and then,
once we've decided what to fold, Jeremy will walk the class through the
process that he takes to design a model. Keep in mind that origami designs
usually evolve over many tries, and sometimes even end up morphing into
something completely different from what we set out to fold, so what we'll
end up with by the end of the class is anybody's guess!

In addition to the classes originating at FIT, there will be two classes
originating elsewhere and broadcasting to a room in FIT, which you can also
join remotely. These classes are as follows:

Saturday, 2 to 2:45pm

Fabian Correa Reindeer (Reno)

Level: Intermediate

This is an intermediate level reindeer that allows a lot of shaping at the
end, which makes the model look more artistic.

Saturday, 3 to 4:45pm

Aurele Duda Wheat Ears

Level: Intermediate

This model is folded from a strip of paper in a ratio of length to width of
4:1. You can comfortably fold it in A3 paper cut into three strips.

We are really excited to be able to present this innovation, thanks to the
efforts of the convention and web teams, and the kindness of the
presenters. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Jan Polish, on behalf of OrigamiUSA