Dear o’listers,

I came across something quite wonderful in my PhD research today.

I picked up a book on Frank Lloyd Wright, an American architect with a
considerable global reputation, at the University library, therein I discovered
that he was inspired for a series of window-frame designs, and I suspect for
the use of proportion in his career, by the seventh gift of Froebel as his
insight into proportion.

It’s a set of 5 tiles, square, equilateral triangle, isosceles triangle, and
scalar triangle, I made an illustration you can see for a short time here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/36p4hixaiqmwu8y/froebel-seventh-gift.png?dl=0

Its a magical set of tiles that each fit onto each other, similar to Tangram,
but my favourite idea here is the √1 √2 √3 √4 √5 ascendence. As soon as I saw
them, I thought, ahah! they are origami ratios, and sure enough the following
page states the same:

http://www.froebelweb.org/gifts/seventh.html

I did not know that was one of primary reasonings behind Froebel’s love of
origami, the beautiful ratios, and their relationships. It all reminds me of
talking to Jun Maekawa in Tokyo, he said he loves these ratios in origami, and
now, finally, some 10 years later, I get it.

I guess that’s why we study, to actually learn things through our questions…
asking what is the relationship between art and concepts, led me to
architecture theory, back to geometry, to kindergarten education, and then to
origami.

Curious if anyone knows anything more about this topic?

best, Matthew