> Den 2. apr. 2017 kl. 18.28 skrev Andrea Plate <aspca...@gmail.com>:

> interest both the local Council on Aging and the Center for the Arts.  I
> could use help designing a program of modulars that I could teach that
> would allow participants to leave feeling successful while adding skills.

> The Center for the Arts program needs to be deeper and move faster.  I was
> thinking of Sonobe and variations as an introductory course, incorporating
> various bases throughout as skill development.
Concerning the Sonobe modules, some people use them for lamps, e.g.
http://www.sonobelight.dk/m/side.asp?Id=246128. As the modules have many
layers, you should employ quite transparent paper.
Many modulars lend themselves to quite open polyhedral styles and may also be
considered for lamps.
Also consider stepping away from modulars, over to their one sheet neighbors of
corrugations and tessellations. Look into e.g. Paul Jacksons Complete Pleats:
Pleating Techniques for Fashion, Architecture and Design, and of course the now
classic Origami Tessellations by Eric Gjerde.  Both provide terrific,
sculptural patterns that, once mastered, led themselves to plenty variations
and experimentation, be it for their own sake or as inspiration for decorative
surfaces of other constructs. They also lend themselves to other materials,
such as fabric or metal, if the Arts people are into that. Take e.g a look at
http://www.garibiorigami.com/. Pleated and cross pleated fabric and lamps are
examples of corrugations.

Good luck,
     Hans