Hey All,

Hope you're having a happy weekend!

I thought I'd share with others out there some of the material I've
acquired in doing origami demonstrations and entertainment for a mass
audience.

Jeremy Shafer's the only one I can think of right now who is a professional
entertainer.  And that's really the key:  Putting yourself into the mindset
of being an entertainer if you want to generate crowds at public events.

I don't always capture the best moments on film; but here are some recent
clips of events I've done in the past couple of months, to give you an idea
of how I go about it:

http://havepaperwilltravel.blogspot.com/2017/04/cherry-blossom-festival-last-weekend-in.html

http://havepaperwilltravel.blogspot.com/2017/03/descanso-japanese-gardens-origami.html

http://havepaperwilltravel.blogspot.com/2017/03/warming-up-crowd-and-testing-their.html

http://havepaperwilltravel.blogspot.com/2017/03/yamis-secret-ancient-origami-folding.html

Also some other random picks, raiding through the archives:

http://havepaperwilltravel.blogspot.com/2016/04/quick-fold-contest.html

http://havepaperwilltravel.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-cicada-boomerang-glider-at-cherry.html

http://havepaperwilltravel.blogspot.com/2015/04/2015-monterey-park-cherry-blossom.html

http://havepaperwilltravel.blogspot.com/2014/03/last-weekends-venture-at-descanso.html

I hope this inspires some of you out there who are new to public teaching
and looking for ways to provide origami entertainment to crowds, both large
and small; and also to inspire others to share their own material with the
rest of the origami community.  I'm always interested in learning more from
others.

Watch stage performers & magicians.  Study how they interact with people
and tell jokes.  Accumulate some stock jokes to tell.  I've learned quite a
bit from watching Mark Kennedy entertain people in the gold mine at OUSA.
And of course I've learned a lot from having worked with Yami Yamauchi and
Joe Hamamoto over the last decade, entertaining people at cultural
festivals.  They've taught me a lot about generosity and the power of
sharing a folded piece of paper with strangers; of how much pleasure it
brings to evoke the child within every adult.

Finally, check out this Kabuto folded and sewn out of fabric:

http://havepaperwilltravel.blogspot.com/2017/04/seen-at-cherry-blossom-festival.html

michael
Santa Monica, CA
http://havepaperwilltravel.blogspot.com