Jorge Jaramillo asked if the term "box pleating", as used in origami, came
from the same expression but in the realm of sewing.

I can't remember exactly where I read it but yes I had read somewhere that
the origami term "box pleating" came from fashion designing, refering to a
type of pleat sewed over the fabric. It would be cool to know who coined
the term within the realm of origami.

I decided to look for its entry in Kenneway's "Complete Origami" (yes, I
rely a lot in that book). There's no mention about fashion designing,
instead it mentions Fred Rohm and Neal Elias as the pioneers of box
pleating in the US. Maybe they coined it.

As a side note, the term in Spanish for the same kind of pleat in in
fashion designing is "tableado".