>I wanted to know the opinion of the O-list members regarding folding origami
>models with bank notes or Moneygami.

>Do you think it is okay to fold the real bank notes into origami models?
.Considering that some would say that it damages it and shortens its life
cycle, is it okay to fold and encourage others/students to do moneygami with
real banknotes?

Hi Ali

I remember that it was frowned upon in Japan - partially because it was
defacing currency, but largely because it was literally defacing the faces of
important dignitaries depicted on the paper. Maybe some monarchists in UK might
feel the same with the queen.

I also remember at the first Australian origami conference, a Japanese folder,
possibly Kamiya Satoshi, folding a polymer note after we said it couldn't be
done!

I also understand that money folding is far more popular in USA because of the
culture of tips - now that we're all moving to cards for payment and even
bus/train tickets, we've lost a lot of material for 'spontaneous' folding.

Clare