A-size paper have a really cool property. If divide in half, taking the
smaller side, we can two sheets of paper with one A size smaller.

Why? [MATH AHEAD]

Because of the ratio i.e 1 : √2 . If you divide this ratio(fraction) in
half, then it becomes
    1/2 : √2/2 .
On simplifying, it becomes
    √2 : 1
which is same as 1 : √2, on rotating the sheet by 90°.

I got to know about this in David Brill's book -Brilliant Origami.

Sincerely,
Bharat.