From: H-Net Notifications <drupalad...@mail.h-net.org>
Date: Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 1:20 PM
Subject: H-Maps: CFP: Ephemera 42: Creating Places and Spaces
CFP: Ephemera 42: Creating Places and Spaces
<https://networks.h-net.org/user/login?destination=node/8444568>
by David Weimer

Hi All,

The Ephemera Society is still accepting submissions so if you're
interested, send something in ASAP. It looks like a fun topic!

Dave

Call for Presentations Ephemera 42: Creating Places and Spaces

One of the fascinating things about society is how we create our living
environments, whether it is the city or community in which we choose to
live or our own living room. Ephemera 42 will focus on the design of
environments, interior and exterior, ranging in scale from regional
planning and urban design, to the architectural detail or sidewalk
lamppost. This rich topic encompasses design innovations, stylistic and
regional movements, architects, landscape architects, urbanists, draftspersons
and craftspeople—anyone and anything that serves to shape the environment
in which we live.

Creating Places and Spaces is an exciting theme, but also a broad one. What
says home to you — skyscraper or beach cottage? Pocket-sized garden or New
York’s Central Park? We look forward to hearing proposals on ideas like
these:

   - Architects such as Frank Lloyd Wright, Julia Morgan, I.M. Pei, Daniel
   Burnham, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Louis Sullivan, Christopher Wren.•
   Design Styles such as classical, beaux arts, prairie school, modern, art
   deco, Greek revival.
   - Exterior Spaces like parks, Japanese tea gardens, water features,
   formal English-style gardens, casual country gardens and/or landscape
   architects or designers such as Frederick Law Olmsted, Capability Brown,
   Beatrix Farrand, Thomas Church, Walter J. Hood.
   - And Beyond! Green buildings; tech innovations driving new furnishings
   or styles; Victorian patent furniture; window treatments, wallpaper,
   color schemes; the parlor vs. the living room; the origins and evolution of
   indoor plumbing, labor-saving appliances, the suburbs; Hoosier cabinets;
   the “City Beautiful” movement; and the changing definition of the “home
   of the future.”

Ephemera 42, the Ephemera Society of America (ESA) annual conference, will
take place at the Hyatt Regency in Greenwich, Connecticut on March 18, 2022.
Each speaker will address a topic related to the creation of places and
spaces, relying heavily on tangible ephemera—blue prints, broadsides for
land promotions, catalogues for components, color boards, correspondence
between architects and clients, preliminary designs, final designs,
legislation, litigation, political posters, sample books, sketch books, and
virtually anything else used in or influencing the creation of our
environments—to illustrate their subject.

We invite you to submit proposals for presentations. Each presentation will
be 30 minutes in length, followed by a brief Q&A. Please submit the
following:

Presentation title and a written abstract, focusing on the way ephemera
tells the story of your chosen topic. Please describe the specific types of
ephemera you will use to illustrate your topic. Each presentation needs to
feature at least three different types of ephemera. Proposals should not
exceed 150 words.

   - 5 to 6 representative ephemera images;
   - A one-paragraph biography, including any affiliations; and
   - Mailing address, phone number and e-mail address.

Following a review of all proposals received, finalists will be asked to
submit the following:

   - 20 to 25 images of the types of ephemera that will be used to
   illustrate your talk; and
   - A jpg photograph of yourself for publicity purposes.

Proposals must be submitted to Barbara Loe, Ephemera 42 Conference Chair,
by e-mail at bj...@earthlink.net or by post to Barbara Loe, Ephemera
Society of America, Inc., P.O. Box 95, Cazenovia, NY 13035-0095.

*Decisions and notification about proposals will be made by October 31,
2021. *Presenters will be requested to sign a release at the time of
acceptance allowing their presentation to be filmed for use by the ESA.

If selected, a draft PowerPoint presentation must be submitted by February
28, 2022. The final presentation must be submitted by March 7, 2022.
Presentations must include 25 or more ephemera images. At this time,
funding is unavailable from ESA to support travel or presentation costs.

The Ephemera Society is eager to expand the use of ephemera in the
classroom, and we encourage presentations on all subjects addressing the
use of ephemera in teaching and academic research. We encourage
undergraduate and graduate students to submit proposals for the Young
Scholars Panel to be held on Thursday afternoon, March 17th. For more
information
on the young scholar projects contact the ESA at i...@ephemerasociety.org