A while ago I found a paragraph in Origami Omnibus (Kunihiko Kasahara) that
intrigued me. It may have to do with your question. It prompted me several
questions, as follows:

In his book Origami Omnibus, Kunihiko Kasahara says: "In the late nineteenth
century, a paper dealer in the Yushima district of Tokyo imported colored
papers from Europe, cut them into small squares, and sold them in sets called
origami. And this was the origin of the kind of origami popular today."
"Of course, origami itself is much older than the late nineteenth century. But
until that time, it had been known by a variety of names --kami-orimono,
orisue, origata, tatamigami, and so on--and had employed the kind of paper
called hanshi, which is white on both sides and rectangular in shape."

This text raises several questions:

1. Is anyone aware of the dealer mentioned by him?
2. Is there a way to confirm the story of a dealer who brought paper from
Europe and cut it in squares for the first time? Where did he get that?
3. What is hanshi? Does he refer to washi paper? (Hanji for me is the Korean
paper but going phonetically may only bring confusion. The type of hanshi he
mentions may be something totally different and rooted in Japan, the English
spelling sometimes is deceiving.)
4. All the previous names for paperfolding are well known to us. Does Kasahara
want to imply that the word origami began to be used thanks to those little
packages of paper? Okamura has a different view about the word "origami" and
how it developed (also in the 19th century, but in the school environment)