Hans, Miranda,

You might refer to the opportunity for the author to submit its work
anonymously, which is surely fair and which is much different than
something decided as general rule for the competition.

Furthermore, there's a big misunderstanding about "bias": when I judge an
artifact I like to do that in a certain context, and the context includes
(among some aspects) the identity of the creator. This does not definitely
lead to a bias, this lead to a better understanding of the genesis of the
piece I'm going to vote.
In my opinion, if anyone thinks to be able to assign a fair "vote" without
contextualising with the author identity and background, well to me it's at
least naive.

Voting for an artifact is not like voting for the better colour for the
façade of a public building.

Does anyone of you like contemporary art and visit fairs, exhibitions,
galleries and so on?
I can assure you can find a "pole stuck in the ground" and quoted hundreds
thousands dollars, because it comes from a whole artistic path of the
artist. And it's not just "because the market".

In other word, if you think you can "detach" a piece of art from its
creator, and still be able to judge it, well... to me you have no any idea
of what art is.

Lorenzo