It appears that you can use a client which only accesses the ejb using an
ORB. However, the key thing here is the RMI/IIOP. I am not sure that Orion
implements this. Most appservers have their own over the wire protocol for
execution of ejbs, since RMI/IIOP is so damn slow.

So, a CORBA client should be able to pass messages and get messages from an
EJB on Orion, but only if Orion implements RMI/IIOP.

Regards,

The elephantwalker

This is directly from the java website
(http://www.javasoft.com/j2ee/corba/):

EJBs use the RMI/IDL CORBA subset for their distributed object model, and
use the Java Transaction Service (JTS) for their distributed transaction
model. When Enterprise JavaBeans are implemented using the RMI-IIOP protocol
for EJB interoperability in heterogeneous server environments, the standard
mapping of the EJB architecture to CORBA enables the following
interoperability:

A client using an ORB from one vendor can access enterprise beans residing
on an EJB server provided by another vendor.

Enterprise beans in one EJB server can access enterprise beans in another
EJB server.

A non-Java platform CORBA client can access any enterprise bean object.