I knew all along that this would happen, I just wasn't sure which one of the
big companies it would be. As far as I was concerned (and I definitely am
wrong sometimes) the guys at Orion thought: "Hey we've got a good product,
everyone who lives on the J2EE planet knows that  already. Have a deal with
one of the big guys and sell them this wonderful technology that has been
tested thoroughly for free by those very enthusiastic Java geeks!"
Now this is the scary part: "Make Orion unusable by providing partial
implementations for the new stuff in J2EE while providing little or no
support. And since everyone knows Orion has been packaged under another
brand name by some big guy with plenty of resources, they can go to him!
That way, we at Ironflare are making money, the big guy is making money and
everyone is using Orion!"
Well, it probably didn't happen like that, but what gave me concern the most
was the fact that the guys at Orion suddenly became unreachable at a time
and then later came out with a story that they had to reorganise and create
a "real" company - Ironflare. I guess this company was created for the sole
purpose of dealing with those "big guys" who, as it turned out, were
interested in licensing or purchasing Orion.
Well, that said, I bear Ironflare no grudge, on the contrary, I'm proud of
them and think very highly of them! They're free to do whatever they choose
to do and that includes making money and having strange or "capitalistic"
bed fellows like
Or(ion)acle. However, I can't help but wonder which version Oracle got -
1.4.5, 1.5.2 or 2.0!

Paul

PS I must add that I'm happy because one of our clients had insisted on
using Oracle 9iAS. The project is meant to commence in July. I and the guys
at my company had our fears since we knew Oracle wasn't the best J2EE
platform. But now they've got Orion.....