I'm interested as to how you can say this... we just did a series of tests here to see what the effect of pulling out some fairly complex stored procedures into CMP beans, and the performance impact was enormous.  We've actually gone the other way, that is, developing stored procedures for each anticipated database.  The fallback is that the logic is done in the beans, but that is a worst-case scenario.  Now, I realize that this would be considered such bad form in a Sun-controlled world of pure J2EE that I hesitate to even mention it... but in the real world, any significant hit on performance is enough to convince us to denormalize a bit, so to speak.

I don't think that you can say "there's absolutely no hit on performance" not to use stored procedures, particularly if that procedure requires repeated queries of the data in a pseudo-recursive way.  Do you really think that any performance hit that we've seen is a result of poor design?  I'm really interested in your reasoning.

Rian
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 2:23 AM
Subject: RE: Stored procedures and J2EE

As for distributing your business logic between the datastore and middle tier...aren't you making your life more complex than it needs to be? There is absolutely no hit on performance if you pull out all of your business logic into a slsb or cmp...there's just no need to use store procedures any more.