David,

Your observation about Darius the Mede, intriques me. Are you aware that
Herodotus at times "slips" and calls Persians "MEDES" ? Are you aware that
the Romans at times called the Parthians "MEDES" as well ? Did you know that
Cyrus according to Herodotus was the grandson of Astyages, the last king of
the Medes, and thus all the Persian kings, claiming descent from Cyrus,
could claim "Median blood" ? The Greek playwright Aeschylus (5th century
BCE) also refers to the Persians as MEDES. So, if Greeks of the 5th century
BCE COMMONLY referred to Persians as MEDES, why wouldn't Daniel in the 2nd
century BCE, living in a Greek influenced world, be correct in calling
Darius a Mede ?

Has anyone ever been intriqued by Daniel's 49 weeks of years (490 years),
which if originating with Jeremiah's declaration of a restoration after 70
yrs in 587 BCE, dates Daniel's vision as being fulfilled in 97 BCE, thus
suggesting this may have been when Daniel was written or redacted ?  By this
date, the Hasmoneans have successfully "restored" Israel's ancient border
from Dan to Beersheba. Might this not be construed as a type of blessing
from God ? Daniel wanted to know when the persecutor, Antiochus IV's Greeks
would become the "Persecuted" by God. Under the Hasmoneans, ca. 97 BCE it is
the Greeks who are being "persecuted" and forced to become Jews or be sold
into slavery. "Pay-back" time has arrived !

A date of 97 BCE for Daniel, fits nicely, with the Nabonindus story found
amongst the DSS, and his absence in the wilderness, which, as you have
noted, appears to have been transferred to Nebuchdrezzar by Daniel's author.

Those interested in the Mede/Persian connection may like to access the
following url  http://www.bibleorigins.net/Japhethmadai.html

All the best, Walter