>I am interested to know whether the ORO project was built with double-byte
>characters in mind.  If so, then I have found a bug and have reproducible
>case.  Otherwise, I will have to use an workaround. Your comments and
>suggestions are appreciated.

What version are you using?  Only ASCII used to be supported in
character classes, but that limitation was removed some time ago.
Rather than download 2.0.4, checkout the lateset source from CVS
which for the latest fixes.  See the CHANGES file for a history of
the most relevant changes at:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/~checkout~/jakarta-oro/CHANGES?content-type=text/
plain

daniel