In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
rpa>, "Neil O'Toole" writes:
>I modified the regular expression to use SINGLINE_MASK as described, and
>this obviously shortened the RE quite a bit, with the result that the
>StackOverflowError no longer occurs. Thanks for the pointers to the bug

We still have to produce a programmer's guide that explains some of
these things so that people don't run into them head first.  It would also
be nice to eliminate all possibility of a stack overflow, but that's
well nigh impossible so long as there is some recursion (there will always
be a pathological combination of an expression and input).  In an ideal
world you wouldn't have to know something about how the regular expression
engine works in orer to create an optimal regular expression.

daniel