Hi all,

 I have now repeatedly encountered a problem and would like to know if it is a
known / widespread one:

 time and again some (or all) of the nodes of one of our clusters become
completely inaccessible (i.e. one cannot ssh or console-login to nodes). By
rebooting a node from a live medium one finds that /etc/passwd has size 0;
since I also find that /etc/groups and /etc/shadow have the same date, I assume
that OSCAR has got some mechanism to distribute these files according to some
schedule and that corruption can occur during the process of pushing those
files down from the head node - am I right?

 Now my question is, how could one analyze, why the cluster does this and how
could one fix it?

 Regards
 Dr Lutz Ackermann
 MMC - UL

 PS: It's an OSCAR 5 cluster installed on a RedHat derivative:
 $ cat /proc/version
 Linux version 2.6.9-78.ELsmp (brewbuil...@ls20-bc2-14.build.redhat.com) (gcc
version 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-10)) #1 SMP Wed Jul 9 15:46:26 EDT 2008
 $ cat /etc/*release
 Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 7)