the only way that a software can be patented in malaysia if it is an
embedded algorithm in an appliance or gadget. something like if the
algorithm becomes part of the circuits.

else software patents and business method patents are not recognised in
malaysia.

malaysia is a member of the international berne convention, and it is the
concensus that copyright laws are sufficient to protect software. much like
artistic works like books or music.

it was neither an oversight nor a concious decision, as software patents are
not the norm in the world. the default stand is that software are copyright
material.

which essentially means we can break any bloody software patent that we want
to in this part of the glorious world ;-) including one-click shopping etc.
we can do a sudo gui just for the heck of it and put a gpl license to it
which disclaim liability against patent claims.