First identify what programming language you intend to use - Python, C/C++,
Perl, Java, etc. Next pick a UI toolkit - GTK, Qt, etc. I saw you mentioned
PyGTK, so that pretty much translates to Python with GTK. Once you've learnt
your programming language of choice, then start learning the basic concept
of the UI toolkit which you're going to use. Different toolkits have their
own way (concept) of drawing the screen. Once you're familiar with the
fundamental concept, you can start creating your UI. Take things step by
step, only then it's not going to overwhelm you.