O | S | D | N                 NEWSLETTER
    December 27, 2002                                          DEVELOPER SERIES

      The 'Developer Series' Newsletter is developed to bring Open Source
    related content to a user with a focus for development with Open Source
             If you'd like to receive more content relating to
             Open Source subscribe at http://www.osdn.com/newsletters/

Thinkgeek
Gadgets: Forever Flashlight
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/5a9f/

Tshirts: Geek Invaders
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/gaming/5c34/

Interests: Linux French
http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/oreilly/tshirts/5bc4/

Interests: O'Reilly 2003 Calendar
http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/oreilly/other/5c55/

Interests: Perl Gerl
http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/oreilly/tshirts/5bcb/

Interests: I dig Mac OS X
http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/oreilly/tshirts/5bcf/

Interests: Ninj4 Hooded Sweatshirt
http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/megatokyo/altware/5c4e/

Interests: Megatokyo Blanket
http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/megatokyo/coolthings/5b59/

Cube Goodies: Smart Mass Thinking Putty
http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/5ac8/

Electronics: Archos Jukebox Studio 20/ Radio FM 20 MP3 Players
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/mp3/5784/

Computing: Auravision EluminX Illuminated Keyboard
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/keyboards/5c3f/

Electronics: Universal System Selector
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/video/5c1b/

Other Apparel: Power Golf Shirt
http://www.thinkgeek.com/apparel/golfshirts/5b8f/

Computing: Auravision EluminX Illuminated Keyboard
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/keyboards/5c3f/

Other Apparel: The ThinkGeek Monkey Hoodie
http://www.thinkgeek.com/apparel/hoodies/5b88/

Gadgets: Forever Flashlight
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/5a9f/

Electronics: Hitman 2 for PS2
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/ps2/ps2soft/5c6e/

Computing: Sylvania SF170 17" LCD
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/display/lcd/5c73/

Electronics: Splinter Cell for Xbox
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/xbox/xboxsoft/5c69/

Cube Goodies: Tiny R/C Digi Q Cars
http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/5ad6/

Sourceforge
Furthur 1.7.1 Released

    Furthur is a peer-to-peer cataloging and music sharing tool that
    allows: fully enforcable legal sharing model, instant downloads with no
    waiting lists, in-depth cataloging functionality, and detailed
    attribute searches. Upgrade to this version is recommended for all
    existing users. This release includes fixes for known memory leaks,
    high CPU usage issues, and an improved search system. Hello again, The
    Furthurnet team is proud to announce the release of: Furthurnet 1.7.1
    (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=39429&release_id
    =129955) A great deal of hard work has gone into this release. Due to
    the nature of some of the bugs that are fixed here, we highly recommend
    that everybody upgrade. Version Notes - Notable changes include: a)
    Fixed the rest of the major memory leaks and high CPU usage bugs b)
    Fixes free disk space display for Mac OS X c) Improved search d)
    Improved connectivity Thanks again for your patience and ongoing
    support. - The FurthurNet Team -

sylpheed-0.8.8claws released

    Sylpheed-Claws is a GTK+ based, lightweight, and fast e-mail client and
    newsreader. Supports POP3, APOP, IMAP, SMTP, SMTP AUTH, NNTP, LDAP.
    Features multiple accounts, spell-checking, address book, SSL, GPG/PGP,
    filtering, scoring, and i18n. This is a bugfix release.
    ############################################################# 26th
    December 2002 Version: 0.8.8claws SYLPHEED-CLAWS RELEASE NOTES
    <http://claws.sylpheed.org> This release of sylpheed-claws is based on
    version 0.8.8 of the main Sylpheed branch. Notes for this release:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This release fixes a bug which would run into
    an infinite loop and eventual crash when invalid characters were
    encountered in MIME header encoding. New features in this release:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ * add 'Locked' flag to possible filtering
    / matcher conditions * Bug fix: [bug #633443] 'Crash on deleting
    messages' * updated translations Bulgarian and code reorganisation,
    cleanups, and more. CLAWS' EXTRA FEATURES ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ * pop
    before smtp authentication * Automatic saving of message when composing
    * signature in the message view can be coloured * built-in gdb crash
    handler * Customisable toolbars * quick search function * Folder color
    setting * 'Dynamic' signatures * Font configuration * Icon theming *
    Spell checking (with aspell) * filtering/processing mechanism *
    automatic account selection * 'smart' wrapping * message scoring * hide
    read messages * mbox support * IMAP over SSH Tunnel * addressbook:
    import Mutt addressbook * addressbook: import Pine addressbook *
    addressbook copy and paste * harvest addresses for addressbook *
    Request Return-Receipt * extra Folder Properties: Return-Receipt, save
    messages, default To:, default address for replies, subject
    simplification, folder CHMOD, default account * revised compose window
    * manual selection of MIME type and encoding for attachments * 'ignore
    thread' * improved clickable URL support * new mail notification *
    selective download * 7bit and 8bit encoding of attachments * NNTP:
    auto-mark cross-posted messages * configurable (non-)display of images
    * online/offline modes * User-definable quotation characters * export
    addressbook to html file * display url in statusbar on single-click *
    message priority setting * new message cache system * new sort function
    * controllable size of log text in log window * ability to select part
    of a text mime-part to reply * reply flag gets set on sending of a
    reply * sylpheed man page * allow user to 'Save all' attachments in a
    mail with multi-attachments * GnuPG signatures can now be verified by
    double-clicking [application/pgp-signature] in the text view * GnuPG
    users are informed of expired signatures and keys. * save 2 or more
    selected files to a single file * MH folder drag 'n' drop support * Cc
    and Bcc Template definitions * --online and --offline command-line
    switches * Automatic message drafting and cache saving on kill * SSL
    certificate management * 'on-the-fly' changing of the type of GnuPG
    encryption and/or signing used (MIME/ascii) * Logging can be stopped *
    user-definable newsgroup names abbreviation length * Manual and FAQ
    remote and local links * Powerful Extended Search * Indication of
    unread answers to marked mails: '(!)' is appended to the folder name
    when a marked message has a response * Customisable message view
    toolbar * Actions: trailing ">" syntax to insert command's output
    without replacing old text (in contrast to trailing "|"). * Address
    book: 'Edit Group Details' dialog allows multiple selection in either
    pane * Warning dialog is displayed when the user attempts to save
    incomplete rules in scoring, filtering and processing. * .mh_sequences
    file is created in new MH folders * 'tools' directory that contains
    various scripts: calypso_convert.pl import mbox files exported by
    calypso eud2gc.py convert a Eudora (v.3?) addressbook to vCard
    (GnomeCard) format filter_conv.pl convert sylpheed main's filter rules
    into claws' filtering format gif2xface.pl convert a gif file to an
    xface google_msgid.pl Actions script to lookup selected message-id in
    google using mozilla. gpg-sign-syl GnuPG cleartext-signing script for
    use with Actions kmail2sylpheed.pl convert a Kmail addressbook to a
    Sylpheed addressbook kmail2sylpheed_v2.pl new version of the address
    book conversion script for newer versions of Kmail/Kaddressbook
    newscache_clean clean up old files and directories in the newscache
    directory OOo2sylpheed.pl enable OpenOffice to send documents through
    sylpheed outlook2sylpheed.pl convert an Outlook contacts list to a
    Sylpheed addressbook sylpheed-switcher enable quick-switching between
    claws and main in a non-destructive way sylprint.pl process a Sylpheed
    mail and print it using enscript if available or lpr if not tb2sylpheed
    convert an addressbook exported from The Bat! into a Sylpheed
    addressbook update-po translators' tool that eases the creation of *.po
    files uudec decode UUencoded mails, for use with Actions ...and more.
    ---------------------------------------------------------- See
    ChangeLog.claws and README.claws for full information regarding changes
    in this release. Also see ChangeLog[.jp] for changes synchronised from
    sylpheed main. Sylpheed-Claws GnuPG key: Sylpheed-Claws
    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> KeyID:D04C2EEF Fingerprint: 830D 8455 329F
    DD31 7ADA 71D7 7D22 7E77 D04C 2EEF

libggi 2.0.2/libgii 0.8.2 released

    The GGI project is pleased to announce that new versions of LibGGI and
    LibGII have been released. LibGGI is a graphics API which focuses on
    portability between operating systems and graphics back-ends. LibGII is
    a stand-alone system for handling input devices which follows the same
    general design principles as LibGGI. Through a run-time modular system,
    a single application binary can be run on many different display
    systems. In addition, LibGGI and it's interchangeable run-time binary
    "targets" can be compiled on many architectures (like ia-32, ppc32,
    sparc, sparc64, arm, s390, etc.) and operating systems (like Linux,
    *BSD, Darwin, Solaris, etc.) and environments (like X11, fbdev,
    svgalib, aalib, etc.) The LibGGI core itself is a basic API meant for
    low level programming abstracting the simplest of primitives common to
    most display systems. When properly written, LibGGI applications can be
    made to work well in various bit-depths and to function on display
    systems that differ quite drastically in their implementations (e.g.
    backbuffered client/server systems like X11 versus direct hardware
    systems like linux framebuffer.) LibGGI includes an extension system
    which allows API sets to be added to the core LibGGI API. For example,
    two popular extensions are LibGGIWMH, allowing manipulation of parent
    window properties when a LibGGI program is running under a window based
    display system, and LibGGIMISC which supplements the LibGGI API with a
    few features like raytrace syncronization and VGA-style splitline which
    are familair to demo coders. Our team is working on future extensions
    which aim to bring the GGI philosphy of generic abstraction to graphics
    systems features such as Z/Alpha buffers, overlays, and ROP/BITBLT,
    allowing such features to be used by application developers without
    falling into the trap of writing code that is inextricably entangled to
    the display system used for development and testing. Like every Open
    Source project, we are always glad to receive help and new team
    members. This release represents a step forward not only in that
    several enhancements have been made but also in our release process. We
    now have a stable and developemnt tree system such that experimental
    features will no longer butt heads with bugfix releases. We expect this
    to improve our release interval for both development and stable
    projects. More detailed news, project contact information, online
    documentation, and much more is available at
    http://www.ggi-project.org/

SOURCEFORGE.NET UPDATE - 2002-12-18 EDITION

    0. Intro 1. SF.NET Support Update 2. DevChannel Launch 3. NNTP Beta
    Continues 4. WebSphere on Compile Farm 5. Site Statistics --- Sponsored
    by: Buy Holiday Geek Toys Now! Thinkgeek is the holiday shopping mecca
    for geeks, technophiles, and anybody who enjoys computers, gadgets, and
    just plain old fun stuff. Whether you're looking to shop for the new
    geek in your life, or if you're looking to finally get the gifts you
    actually WANT this year, Thinkgeek is your one-stop-shop.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/sf/ ---- Hello SourceForge.net user, Happy
    Holidays! It's been quite a year. We just had our 3rd year anniversary
    of SF.NET's existence and in the past 12 months we've added 225,000
    registered users and 22,000 new Open Source projects (525,000 Users and
    52,000 projects total). It's great to see that the community continues
    to grow. We've moved. You may or may not have noticed, but we
    physically moved last month. SourceForge.net has migrated to a new
    Cable & Wireless facility in Santa Clara, California (formally Exodus).
    Besides the shinny new racks, power and bandwidth, we have consolidated
    all our OSDN sister sites under one roof (Slashdot.org, Freshmeat.net,
    Linux.com, OSDN.com, Thinkgeek.com, etc). This move makes it easier for
    our Sys Admins to get their hands around all 250+ servers (all of OSDN)
    which use to be spread out over two coasts in the United States.
    December 2002's SF.NET project of the month is phpMyAdmin. Please check
    out the interview we did with them. Good stuff.
    http://sourceforge.net/pom_1202.php Our IBM DB2 transition continues to
    move forward. We will have SF.NET fully converted to the database in
    early 2003. On a related note, today we are announcing 3 new IBM
    WebSphere application servers on the SF.NET compile farm. This will
    allow you to test out any J2EE applications you might have.
    Instructions to access the compile farm are below in this email. On
    behalf of the SF.NET team, I want to wish you and your family very
    Happy Holidays. We are looking forward to working with you to make
    SourceForge.net and the Open Source Community even more successful in
    2003. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to
    email me directly at [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thank you. Pat- Patrick McGovern
    Director, SourceForge.net email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] 1. SF.NET Support Update
    ---------------------------------------- The SourceForge.net team has
    recently completed a set of planning sessions for 2003 goals. We have
    incorporated much of the feedback received during the 2002 year in to
    these goals, and are quite excited about the upcoming enhancements to
    the SourceForge.net site and services. We welcome your continued
    feedback. The SourceForge.net team may be contacted by submitting a
    Support Request at:
    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=add&group_id=1&atid=200001 All
    SourceForge.net-hosted projects which make use of our VHOST services
    must update their DNS configuration to reflect our new IP address
    range. A mailing was sent to all project administrators on VHOST-using
    projects on 2002-12-05. Instructions for proper VHOST configuration may
    be seen at:
    https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=777&group_id=1 A
    significant amount of effort has recently been directed to improvement
    of the SourceForge.net Site Documentation. Among the changes, we have
    completed a significant reorganization of the Site Docs (which are now
    separated by target audience and grouped by service). Second,
    significant formatting changes have been made to all existing document
    for cleaner appearance and more functional navigation (we have added a
    Table of Contents to most documents). Finally, plan has been
    established which will ensure documentation is written to cover all
    previously-identified gaps; in coming months, we will be working to
    complete the initial rewrite of older content and the generation of new
    documentation. The SourceForge.net Site Documentation collection may be
    seen at: https://sourceforge.net/docman/?group_id=1 In conjunction with
    our work to improve the Site Documentation of the SourceForge.net site,
    a command-line tool has been developed to automate DocManager (the
    documentation management feature of the SourceForge.net site)
    operations. This tool, adocman, is available from the 'sitedocs'
    project on SourceForge.net. At this time, a tool to automate retrieval
    of data via our XML data export facility (which requires authentication
    by a project administrator) is also included. These tools can be used
    by any project team to establish a comprehensive backup and recovery
    plan, as described at:
    https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=6840&group_id=1
    adocman (and the xml_export script included in the adocman release) may
    be found at: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sitedocs/ SourceForge.net
    now provides documentation regarding security and risk management as
    applied to the SourceForge.net site and services. We encourage all
    project administrators to review the documentation provided at:
    https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=14267&group_id=1
    Finally, as requested by many site users, the SourceForge.net team now
    provides a search facility for Site Documentation. Information about
    this search facility (and access to the Site Documentation search) is
    available at:
    https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=14068&group_id=1
    The SourceForge.net team is glad to respond to any issues you may
    encounter in using SourceForge.net, as a user, as a developer, or as a
    project administrator. To reach the SourceForge.net team, we ask that
    you submit a Support Request at:
    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=add&group_id=1&atid=200001 I
    welcome feedback regarding our support process and your experiences in
    using SourceForge.net. I may be reached via email at:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED] Jacob Moorman Quality of Service Manager,
    SourceForge.net 2. OSDN's Newsite DevChannel
    ---------------------------------------- OSDN is adding to its
    resources for developers with a new website, DevChannel
    (http://devchannel.org). DevChannel is the central news and reference
    resource for developers interested in core technology topics. With
    original feature articles and interviews, daily news updates, access to
    SourceForge projects, Freshmeat downloads, and Slashdot discussions,
    DevChannel opens a channel of communication to developers, organized by
    topics that matter. We've begun rolling out DevChannel gradually, with
    four channels featured at present: High Performance Computing
    (http://hpc.devchannel.org) Web Services
    (http://webservices.devchannel.org) Development Tools
    (http://tools.devchannel.org) Hardware (http://hardware.devchannel.org)
    While SourceForge.net remains the preeminent gathering place for
    developers on OSDN, you'll find some great content on DevChannel (like
    Steve DuChene's IPMI article), and some familiar faces (Brian Finley
    from the Clustering Foundry, and Eugene Kim from the Distributed
    Computing Foundry). So be sure to add DevChannel to your list of OSDN
    destinations; we look forward to seeing you there. If you have
    questions/comments please email Mark Stone at [EMAIL PROTECTED] 3. SF.NET
    NNTP Beta Test Continues ---------------------------------------- In
    October we launched an early beta release of a new feature on
    SourceForge.net. We are continuing this beta test, and here again are
    the details in case you missed it the first time: Our NNTP server makes
    it possible to view and post data to forums using a simple newsreader
    (exactly like using USENET newsgroups). Here's the information to login
    and try it out. The hostname of the NNTP server is
    'nntp.sourceforge.net' and the port NNTP is listening on is 563.
    (nntps, SSL-protected NNTP) We allow only SSL connections. You need to
    use your SourceForge user name and password to login. The currently
    supported clients are Mozilla and Outlook, however we've followed the
    NNTP RFC; any client that does NNTP over SSL /should/ work. Please let
    us know if you have problems with a specific client. (Please see below)
    Posting works, with one caveat: to limit SPAM we limit the amount of
    posts to 10 in a 5 minute period, after which we deny posting for some
    time for that user account. NOTE: This is real data. Posts will show up
    in your forums! Please keep this in mind. Here is an example of the
    NNTP naming we've chosen, it is much like the project web tree.
    "sf.a.al.alexandria.open_discussion" will get you the "Open Discussion"
    forum for project "alexandria". Mailing lists are currently _not_
    available but will be available in the near future. If you would like
    to report bugs, ideas, or anything else please subscribe to the beta
    mailing list at:
    in mind that the server is beta and will more than likely crash. Please
    don't send 1000 emails to list saying the server is offline; we'll fix
    it as soon as we get a chance. Please send any bug reports, odd
    behavior, or problems to this list. Thank you. Issue reports regarding
    this new beta feature should not be submitted as Support Requests;
    please direct all inquiries to the list. 4. IBM WebSphere on Compile
    Farm ---------------------------------------- The SourceForge.net
    Compile Farm now features four systems running IBM WebSphere
    Application Server Version 5. These systems let you freely deploy J2EE
    applications for testing and validation on the WebSphere platform. The
    SourceForge.net Compile Farm is available for use (on an opt-in basis)
    by developers on any active projects hosted on SourceForge.net. To
    access these systems, please see the Compile Farm Guide at:
    http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=762&group_id=1 5.
    Statistics ---------------------------------------- Where do SF.NET
    users come from? The SF.NET team recently ran log files through an
    application that can translate countries by IP numbers, oppose to
    domain name extensions. IP numbers provide more accurate statistics.
    Below are the results. SourceForge.net truly is an International site.
    Percent / Country 34.0450% United States 09.2114% Germany 04.5754%
    Canada 04.1249% United Kingdom 04.0632% Sweden 04.0632% Poland 03.4010%
    France 03.1006% Japan 02.3787% Netherlands 02.2872% Italy 01.9262%
    Belgium 01.9262% Australia 01.6557% Brazil 01.6259% Spain 01.5951%
    Russian Federation 01.4449% Norway 01.3842% Switzerland 01.2341%
    Denmark 01.2341% Austria 01.2341% Argentina 01.0233% India 00.8428%
    Korea, Republic of 00.7529% Mexico 00.7225% Hong Kong 00.6922% New
    Zealand 00.6922% Finland 00.6629% Taiwan, Province of China 00.6023%
    Portugal 00.5718% Singapore 00.5113% Israel On Thursday December 12th,
    2002, SourceForge.net served: 4,424,135 Million Page views [SF.NET and
    Sub-domains] 467,693 Open Source Applications [downloaded] 1,245,123
    Emails [SF Mailing Lists] 10,234 CVS checkouts 7,753 CVS Checkins Top
    20 projects: 1 POPFile - Automatic Email Classification
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/popfile/ POPFile is an email
    classification system that has a Naive Bayes text classifier and a POP3
    proxy. It works with any mail client using POP3. 2 Gaim
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gaim/ Gaim is an all-in-one IM client
    that resembles AIM. Gaim lets you use AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, MSN, IRC,
    Jabber, Napster, Zephyr, and Gadu-Gadu, all at once. Gaim is NOT
    endorsed by or affiliated with AOL, Yahoo, MSN or Napster. 3 PCGen -- A
    Character Generator http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/ PCGen is a
    java character generator and maintenance program. All datafiles are
    ASCII so they can be modified by users, and are available through the
    pcgendm project. An XML conversion is underway. 4 BZFlag
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/bzflag/ OpenSource OpenGL Multiplayer
    Multiplatform battlezone capture the flag 5 phpMyAdmin
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin/ phpMyAdmin is a tool
    written in PHP intended to handle the administration of MySQL over the
    WWW. Currently it can create and drop databases, create/drop/alter
    tables, delete/edit/add fields, execute any SQL statement, manage keys
    on fields. 6 Tiki http://sourceforge.net/projects/tikiwiki/ Tiki is a
    CMS system based on a Wiki, it has all the features a regular Wiki
    application has and a lot more. Tiki uses PHP and templates via Smarty.
    Many features added or planned 7 ScummVM
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/scummvm/ ScummVM is a cross-platform
    interpreter for SCUMM-based games, used by LucasArts in games like:
    Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, Day Of The Tentacle, The Dig, etc. It
    also includes an non-SCUMM interpreter for Simon The Sorcerer 1/2. 8
    Hibernate http://sourceforge.net/projects/hibernate/ Hibernate -
    Relational Persistence for Idiomatic Java 9 SquirrelMail
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/squirrelmail/ SquirrelMail is a
    PHP4-based Web email client. It includes built-in pure PHP support for
    IMAP and SMTP, and renders all pages in pure HTML 4.0 for maximum
    compatibility across browsers. It also has MIME support, folder
    manipulation, etc. 10 eMule http://sourceforge.net/projects/emule/
    eMule is a filesharing client which is based on the eDonkey2000 network
    but offers more features than the standard client 11 Fink
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/fink/ Fink is an attempt to bring the
    full world of Unix Open Source software to Darwin and Mac OS X.
    Packages are downloaded and built automatically and installed into a
    tree managed by dpkg. 12 Compiere ERP + CRM Business Solution
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/compiere/ Smart ERP+CRM solution for
    small-medium enterprises (SME) in the global marketplace covering all
    areas from customer management, supply chain and accounting. For
    $2-200M revenue companies looking for "brick and click" first tier
    functionality. 13 Gimp-Print - Top Quality Printer Drivers
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-print/ A very high quality package
    of printer drivers for Ghostscript and CUPS. This project also
    maintains the Print plug-in for the Gimp from the same code base. 14
    XNap - java filesharing client http://sourceforge.net/projects/xnap/
    XNap is a plugin-based filesharing client. Currently it includes an
    OpenNap plugin, with multiple server support, automatic downloading,
    resuming of incomplete files, chat, hotlist and an advanced media
    library. Features a Swing GUI and a terminal mode. 15 Bochs x86 PC
    emulator http://sourceforge.net/projects/bochs/ Bochs is a portable x86
    PC emulation software package that emulates enough of the x86 CPU,
    related AT hardware, and BIOS to run Windows, Linux, *BSD, Minix, and
    other OS's, all on your workstation. 16 AWStats
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/awstats/ Advanced Web Statistics
    (AWStats) is a free powerfull web server logfile analyzer (Perl script)
    that shows you all your Web statistics including visits, unique
    visitors, pages, hits, hours, search engines, keywords used to find
    your site, robots, etc... 17 Fluxbox
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/fluxbox/ Fluxbox is a X11 windowmanager
    build for speed and flexibility. 18 Dev-C++
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/dev-cpp/ Dev-C++ is an full-featured
    Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for Win32. It uses GCC, Mingw
    or Cygwin as compiler and libraries set. 19 MinGW - Minimalist GNU for
    Windows http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/ MinGW is a set of
    include files and import libraries that allow one to use GCC to build
    native Windows applications that use vendor-supplied runtime. 20
    JBoss.org http://sourceforge.net/projects/jboss/ The JBoss/Server is
    the leading Open Source, standards-compliant, J2EE based application
    server implemented in 100% Pure Java.

Mailman 2.1 rc 1

    This is the release candidate for Mailman 2.1 final. This version is in
    production use at python.org. Mailman is the GNU mailing list manager.
    It provides standard list management features, integrated with a web
    interface. Barring unforseen problems, this is a snapshot of what will
    be released before the end of 2002.

Cayenne &quot;Holiday Release&quot;: 1.0a5

    A new release of Cayenne is out. It plugs a few gaps in the core
    functionality, fixes tons of bugs and provides a much improved
    documentation. Cayenne is an object-relational persistence framework
    written in Java. It provides tools and libraries to work with
    relational databases in an object-oriented way. Cayenne consists of
    class libraries and a GUI tool for O/R mapping and deployment. Release
    highlights are: * Added flattened relationships (direct many-to-many
    relationships). * Introduced type-safe queries using Java Class as a
    root * Project structure update. Project map and node files now have
    predefined extensions. An upgrade from the old format can be done via
    CayenneModeler. Old format is compatible with Cayenne runtime. *
    Significantly improved and updated "User Guide". Created "Developer
    Guide" for contributors. * Usual Bug fixes, code cleanup and
    refactoring. Downloads available at http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/

Chordcast 0.9.9b

    Chordcast 0.9.9b has been released. This is probably going to be the
    last version before 1.0. This release contains mostly bug fixes and
    enhancements. ChordCast is a JAVA (swing) program for creating guitar
    chords in files called chord sheets. The software uses XML files to
    save the chord sheets. It also allows to export to HTML files using PNG
    images for chords. It requires J2RE 1.4 to run. See the changelog for
    more information. The roadmap was also updated.

e1000-4.4.19 stable release

    Linux kernel driver for the Intel(R) PRO/100 ethernet devices and
    Intel(R) PRO/1000 gigabit ethernet devices. This project serves as a
    focal point for further driver development and discussion. e1000-4.4.19
    stable release is available in .tar.gz format to compile against any
    2.4 kernel.

DSpace 1.0.1 released

    DSpace, currently in use at MIT Libraries, is a Java-based Open Source
    digital library system designed for scalability, and the long-term
    preservation of data (such as books, documents, and multimedia
    publications). DSpace 1.0.1 is mostly a bug fix release. New
    documentation should be available in a couple of weeks.

The Bochs Project Releases v2.0

    It's been a busy 6 months since our previous release! Bochs is now
    running about twice as fast as version 1.4.1. Also, we can now emulate
    MMX, SSE/SSE2, and even AMD x86-64 instructions if you turn on the
    appropriate configure options. We also added two new graphical
    interfaces, SVGALIB and wxWindows. The wxWindows interface lets you
    edit all bochsrc options in a graphical form. Macintosh users will be
    happy to find binaries for MacOSX and MacOS9. Also we now support
    plugins for several platforms and cleaned up and improved the
    documentation. Download a copy and give it a spin!
    http://bochs.sourceforge.net What's changed since version 1.4.1?
    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/bochs/bochs/CHANGES?rev=
    HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Slashdot
Top 10 Unsolved Space Mysteries

    [0]Joe Jordan writes "[1]Space.com is advertising the [2]Top 10 Space
    Mysteries for 2003, and perhaps for all time, given the current rate of
    discovery." Some of them are obvious, like the origin of life, and the
    possibility of alien life forms, but the list is still a good
    compilation of space's greatest questions.
Links
    0. http://www.ExtremeMessenger.com/
    1. http://www.space.com/
    2. http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/topmysteries_2003_021226-1.html

SGI launches R16000

    nkrgovic writes " SGI has just launched a new CPU - the long expected
    R16000. The new CPU works on 700MHz, has 4MB secondary cache and more
    goodies. For now the new CPU is only used in SGI's [0] Fuel
    workstations, but we should expect to see it pretty soon in SGI's
    Origin servers as well. With new high density compute nodes this should
    make the Origin's the fastest supercomputing server per square foot."
Links
    0. http://www.sgi.com/workstations/fuel/tech_info.html

The Age Interviews Linux Advocate Rick Moen

    An anonymous reader writes "The Age [0]interviews Rick Moen, a software
    generalist from the Linux community and an advocate for Open Source
    software." Rick's been a real catalyst for the Linux community over the
    years, helping organize the LINC Expo, Windows Refund Day, Linux
    birthday parties, and more. An entertaining read.
Links
    0. http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/12/26/1040511127721.html

Deliberation of "National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace"

    An anonymous reader writes "Per the [0]Federal Register the National
    Infastructure Advisory Council will have a public meeting
    (telephonically) from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm EST on 1/8/2003 to deliberate
    on the National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace. 'Written comments may be
    submitted at any time before or after the meeting.' Details can be
    found in [1]text format or in [2]PDF."
Links
    0. http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/aces/aces140.html
    1.
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.accessgpo.gov/2002/02-32435.htm
    2.
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.accessgpo.gov/2002/pdf/02-32435.pdf

Indian Government Moves to Let Linux In

    Webi writes "The government of India has started taking [0]precise,
    wide-reaching steps to usher in a Linux wave in India." India sure
    seems to be a [1]highly contested arena lately. Interestingly, India's
    plan calls for government-sponsored support and call centers. Looks
    like they've really thought this through.
Links
    0. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/html/comp/articleshow?artid=32354337
    1. http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/11/11/185237&tid=109

GNU Christmas Gift: Free Eclipse

    [0]Mark Wielaard writes "Your friendly neighbourhood [1]GNU did it
    again. A year ago IBM made much [2]noise about placing $40 million of
    its software tools under a free software license. Technically these
    tools, called [3]Eclipse, are great for developing (java) software.
    There was only one catch, it was build on top of the proprietary java
    platform. This made it useless for the Free Software community. Luckily
    the GNU project has two projects that come to the rescue. [4]GNU
    Classpath, core libraries for java, and [5]gcj, the GNU Compiler for
    Java. We are now able to run Eclipse on a completely free platform! It
    is not yet complete, but you can already edit, compile and browse CVS
    with it. And since Eclipse uses GTK+ it also looks very nice. I setup a
    [6]page with instructions on how to get this working so you can help us
    make it work even better or just so you can view a couple of nice
    [7]screenshots."
Links
    0. http://www.klomp.org/mark/
    1. http://www.gnu.org/
    2. http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/11/05/144221&tid=136
    3. http://www.eclipse.org/
    4. http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/
    5. http://gcc.gnu.org/java/
    6. http://www.klomp.org/mark/gij_eclipse/
    7. http://www.klomp.org/mark/gij_eclipse/hello.html

Digital Rights Management on CD's This Christmas?

    [0]McDrewbie asks: "Has anyone discovered that the new CD's found under
    the tree or in their stocking don't play on their brand new CD player?
    My father got a [1]Brookstone Wafer-thin CD system and several new
    CD's. Most play fine, however several ones from Sony (with [2]CDextra
    software on them) and from [3]Columbia, either don't play or play with
    some crackling and popping, yet play fine on our older CD player. Did
    these companies decide to quietly unleash DRM on the public this
    holiday season? Or is this just a problem with the new player (separate
    from it not being DRM capable)? What are other Slashdot readers
    experiencing today?"
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    1.
http://www.brookstone.com/shop/product.asp?product_code=346114&world_code=100&category_code=61&subcategory_code=684&search_type=subcategory#
    2. http://usa.sonymusic.com/formats/cdextras.html
    3. http://www.columbiarecords.com/

Fixing Wireless Security By Pulling The Plug

    An anonymous reader writes "It seems as though the Japanese government
    is paying attention to some security concerns of wireless networks, and
    rather than addressing the problem, taking a [0]more aggressive but
    perhaps not as thorough approach to the issue at hand. Not very
    technical, but at least its good to see governments actually doing
    something about it."
Links
    0. http://www.asahi.com/english/national/K2002122600287.html

Kroger Testing Fingerprint Payment System

    MachineShedFred writes "CNN is reporting that [0]The Kroger Company is
    testing the use of [1]fingerprinting as means for payment at grocery
    stores. The article says that it has been well received by both college
    students and seniors. I, for one would love to see this rolled out to
    all of Kroger's stores, which include Fred Meyer, Ralph's, QFC, Fry's
    Marketplace (not the electronics stores), and others; however I'm sure
    some /.-ers will have privacy concerns as well as law enforcement
    cooperation issues..."
Links
    0. http://www.kroger.com/
    1. http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/12/26/kroger.fingerprint.reut/index.html

Engineering Careers Short-Circuiting

    [0]8BitWimp writes "Today's edition of the Christian Science Monitor
    has an interesting article discussing the current [1]plight of the U.S.
    engineering profession. One 29-year-old engineer recently caught in
    Nortel Network's layoffs said "I spent seven years in school, and it
    resulted in a six-year career." The article goes on to say a California
    computer science professor has statistics to show that a programmer's
    career is not much longer than a pro-football player. What do other
    Slash-Dot readers think of this situation as related to their
    programming and engineering careers? Would you pursue the same career
    path again?"
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    1. http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/1226/p02s01-usec.html

Freshmeat
AndromedeIRCd 1.2.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107622/

    AndromedeIRCd is an ircd based on bahamut with many useful additional
    commands, including host encryption, the sethost command, etc.

Astaro Security Linux 3.380 (Beta)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107633/

    Astaro Security Linux is a firewall solution. It does stateful packet
    inspection filtering, content filtering, user authentication, virus
    scanning, VPN with IPSec (PKI for X.509 certificates) and PPTP, and
    much more. With its Web-based management tool, WebAdmin, and the
    ability to pull updates via the Internet, it is pretty easy to manage.
    It is based on a special hardened Linux 2.4 distribution where most
    daemons are running in change-roots and are protected by kernel
    capabilities.

cdrecord 2.0
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107625/

    Cdrecord creates home-burned CDs with a CD-R/CD-RW recorder. It works
    as a burn engine for several applications. Cdrecord supports CD
    recorders from many different vendors; all SCSI-3/mmc and ATAPI/mmc
    compliant drives should also work. Supported features include
    IDE/ATAPI, parallel-port, and SCSI drives, audio CDs, data CDs, and
    mixed CDs, full multi-session support, CD-RWs (rewritable), TAO, DAO
    and human-readable error messages. Cdrecord includes remote SCSI
    support and can access local or remote CD-writers.

Cherokee 0.3.0 beta 2
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107613/

    Cherokee is a tiny, ultrafast, lightweight Web server. It is
    implemented entirely in C, and has no dependencies beyond a standard C
    library. It provides only the most basic HTTP functionality, but is
    extremely fast and small.

Co-browse servlet 1.7
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107606/

    The Co-browse servlet lets you open a session and start your Web
    surfing, and everyone who is running the same servlet and is joined to
    the same session will see your pages. As a session owner, you will see
    a list of users joined to your channel, and can chat with them.

E-CELL Simulation Environment 3.1.2 (Development)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107609/

    The E-CELL Simulation Environment (E-CELL SE) is a software package for
    cellular and biochemical modeling and simulation. E-CELL attempts to
    provide a framework not only for analyzing metabolism, but also for
    higher-order cellular phenomena such as gene regulation networks, DNA
    replication, and other occurrences in the cell cycle.

FreeMarker 2.1.4 (Lazarus)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107615/

    FreeMarker allows Java servlets to keep graphic design separate from
    application logic, by encapsulating HTML in templates. Templates
    generate HTML dynamically, using data provided by the servlet. The
    template language is powerful and intuitive, the compiler is fast, and
    the output approaches the speed of static HTML pages.

Genuts Breaker 1.3
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107623/

    Genuts Breaker is a remake of the popular classic Break-Out game. The
    object of the game is to avoid losing your ball and to catch it with
    your racket. Sometime a new ball will appear. Six levels are available.

GL Interface Library 0.4
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107612/

    libGLI is a multi-platform library for creating 3D user interfaces,
    based on OpenGL. With the help of this library, programmers can add in
    their own graphical application elements for the user interface and
    connect interface objects to their own programs with callbacks. In
    other words, GLI sits between the user and an OpenGL application.

glark 1.6.0
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107624/

    glark offers grep-like searching of text files, with very powerful,
    complex regular expressions (e.g., &quot;/foo\w+/ and /bar[^\d]*baz$/
    within 4 lines of each other&quot;). It also highlights the matches,
    displays context (preceding and succeeding lines), does
    case-insensitive matches, and automatic exclusion of non-text files. It
    supports most options from the GNU version of grep.

Kugel Lines 2.7
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107611/

    Kugel is a game played by moving objects on a board. When you create
    rows, columns, or diagonals containing the same objects
    (&quot;kugels&quot;), the score will increment by the number of objects
    you manage to line up. At the same time, the lined up
    &quot;kugels&quot; will disappear, so you can continue the game with
    more maneuver space on the board. Any time you fail to create a line of
    &quot;kugels&quot;, new ones will appear on the board. Once the board
    is full, the game is over.

Laarus Newsreel 1.0
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107626/

    Laarus Newsreel is a CGI application for maintaining news articles on
    your Web site. It supports multiple authors (with attribution) and
    keeps everything in convenient, easy to back up Berkeley database
    files.

lamprop 0.9.2
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107627/

    lamprop calculates some properties of fiber-reinforced composite
    laminates. It calculates engineering properties like Ex, Ey, Gxy,
    thermal properties CTE_x and CTE_y, physical properties like density
    and laminate thickness, and stiffness and compliance matrices.

Linux 2.2.24-rc2 (2.2-testing)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107593/

    Linux is a clone of the Unix kernel, written from scratch by Linus
    Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers across the
    Net. It aims towards POSIX and Single UNIX Specification compliance. It
    has all the features you would expect in a modern fully-fledged Unix
    kernel, including true multitasking, virtual memory, shared libraries,
    demand loading, shared copy-on-write executables, proper memory
    management, and TCP/IP networking.

mvnForum 1.0.0.beta2
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107601/

    mvnForum is a powerful, easy to use bulletin board.

mysql_auth 0.4
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107607/

    mysql_auth is a basic authenticator for Squid Proxy. You can configure
    all MySQL variables for your existing user/password database (dbhost,
    dbadmin, dbpasswd, dbname, tablename, columns name), or create a new
    database. It includes a utility called mypasswd that updates your
    database.

PhpBaseClasses 0.0.0
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107610/

    PHPBaseClasses is a multi-tier and fully Object Oriented set of base
    classes written for and in PHP. Currently the storage tier is SQL only,
    but supports multiple databases, including any ODBC database, MsSQL
    (SyBase), MySQL, and PostgreSQL. It includes classes for drawing
    graphs, creating forums (news, bulletin boards), links, users, and
    authentication.

PQMM 0.35
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107549/

    PQMM stands for &quot;pq--&quot;. It is a simplified rewrite of the
    pq++ library. PQMM improves pq++ in many ways, including better Win32
    support, fewer dependencies, a smaller size, the addition of public
    OpenConnection()/CloseConnection() methods, and fewer bugs.

pyDDR 0.5.8
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107603/

    PyDDR is a clone of DDR (&quot;Dance Dance Revolution&quot;) written in
    Python. The idea of DDR is simple. There's a mat with four directional
    arrows, and the game scrolls arrows up the screen to the beat while
    playing a song. When the arrows reach the top of the screen (not sooner
    and not later), the player hits the corresponding arrow on the pad, and
    given that it's hit on time with the beat, points are scored. Based on
    how well the dance is put together, s/he is graded at the end of the
    song. Both keyboard and mat play are supported.

PyTraffic 1.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107605/

    PyTraffic is a Python version of the board game Rush Hour created by
    Binary Arts Coporation. The goal is to remove the red car out of the
    grid through the slot on the right. To do this you have to slide the
    other cars out of the way. PyTraffic comes with about 15,000 puzzles
    ranging from intermediate to expert, and has an extremely smart hint
    facility which is able to find the best move in every position.

RPG1 0.0.4
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107602/

    RPG1 is a text-mode console role playing game written in Perl. It
    features ASCII graphics provided by the ANSI::Color module, an
    inventory, a magic system, food depletion, killing, getting killed, and
    a library system. It also features a top-down view orientation.

SMELT 0.2.12
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107621/

    SMELT (Simple Monitoring Evaluating and Logging Tool) is a tool created
    to monitor the disks in a single host or an entire network. It's
    totally written in BASH script. This way this tool can be installed and
    used normally in every distribution of Linux or Solaris operating
    systems. When a single host is monitored, the results can be sent via
    e-mail to the host's administrator. When an entire network is
    monitored, SMELT can work in client/server model. The results can be
    sent to the server via FTP and, using a Web server, be published in a
    frame-based HTML page, as well via email.

Sylpheed 0.8.8claws (Claws)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107614/

    Sylpheed is a GTK+ based, lightweight, and fast email client. Almost
    all commands are accessible with the keyboard. It also has many
    features such as multiple accounts, POP3/APOP support, thread display,
    and multipart MIME. One of Sylpheed's future goals is to be fully
    internationalized. The messages are managed in the MH format, so you'll
    be able to use it together with another mailer that uses the MH format.

The Fish 0.2.3
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107628/

    The Fish provides a GTK-based graphical tool to manage and edit FreeBSD
    system variables stored in /etc/defaults/rc.conf and /etc/rc.conf. For
    testing purposes, or, for users that need to have different
    configurations, the program honours two environment variables:
    FISH_RC_DEFAULTS and FISH_RC.

VDRadmin 0.20
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107616/

    VDRadmin is a program to administer VDR (video digital recorder) via
    HTTP. A small HTTP server is included.

Video4Linux Grab 2002-12-26 (Development)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107636/

    The v4lgrab project is real-time capturing software for a Video4Linux
    device.

WISP-Dist 2397
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107618/

    WISP-Dist is a modular embedded Linux distribution for wireless
    routers, but can be used for other purposes as well. The entire system
    fits in 8 MB flash/16 MB RAM. Highlights include an easy-to-use menu
    interface, commandline access, an Access Point mode (on selected
    cards), OSPF/RIPv2, bandwidth shaping, NAT, Layer 3 (proxy arp)
    bridging, and other goodies. The goal is to create an open,
    customizable, and easy-to-use solution for wireless routers. WISP-Dist
    is part of the LEAF project.

XM 0.6
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107637/

    XM (XSLT Make) is a simple and affordable Web- publishing
    content-management solution that takes advantage of XML and XSL. It is
    developped as part IBM developerWorks' column &quot;Working XML.&quot;

Yerase TNEF Stream Reader 1.0
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107619/

    ytnef is a program to decode TNEF streams. Unlike other similar
    programs, it can also decode meeting requests and create VCal entries
    for easy import. It also has a Perl script that can be used in procmail
    recipes to automatically reformat incoming mail appropriately.

Yet Another Free RAYtracer 0.0.2-9
http://freshmeat.net/releases/107620/

    yafray is yet another free raytracer, still in development. Some
    features like caustics, filters, depth of field, etc. are implemented.

Slashcode
Problems with runtask
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=02/12/24/1754206

    I just recently installed slash 2.2.6 on a server in my company
    intranet. We're going to make use of it as a technical forum for the
    developers to collaborate. For the most part, everything has gone
    smoothly and I've had little trouble getting slash configured the way I
    want. The one problem I have come across is that I can't run runtask
    with any of the tasks in my slash-site. Every time I try to do it, I
    check my slashd.log and find a similar error: Tue Dec 24 15:01:50 2002
    Starting runtask with pid 10011 glob failed (child exited with status
    1) at /home/usr1/app/slash/bin/runtask line 118. No task
    'refresh_authors_cache.pl' found in
    /home/usr1/app/slash/site/emmaus.saic.com/tasks I've tried looking
    overthe code for runtask, but I'm a pretty novice perl programmer and
    have had little luck tracking the problem down. If anyone has ideas
    what might be causing this, please share. I don't want to have to wait
    a day for new users to have changes made to their accounts, since we're
    immediately going to make everyone authors (w/ seclev 100) because of
    the environment we're in.

Geekizoid.Com
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=02/12/24/0239255

    Well, we were going to wait until 31 Dec 2002, but since the cat is out
    of the bag already, Geekizoid.Com is back. Hosted by LRSE.

The Last Straw
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=02/12/23/1915205

    I just put up my first site using slashcode. It took about a week to
    get from downloading the Mandrake ISO's to having the site pretty
    complete. I have never used Linux before and I took this on as a
    learning experience. I am quite happy with the way it all turned out!
    Anyway, about the site - I found that people seem to complain about
    celebrities a lot, so I figured that a slash site related to the stupid
    things celebrities say and do might be a good idea. Check it out and
    let me know what you think!

WML functionality?
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=02/12/23/1742230

    I have been wondering if there is anyone out there using the WML/WAP
    functionality of Slash? There were some past articles on this subject,
    but seemingly with no clear answers. I was hoping to be able to
    generate .wml pages somehow like slashdot.org currently does. Any tips
    appreciated.

Graphics not appearing in Topic setup
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=02/12/21/0045251

    My newly installed topics were given graphics, in the format of
    ./images/topics/graphicname.ext and the pictures don't show. I've gone
    back in and tried changing them to absolute URLs, but when I click
    "save topic" it reverts back to the old entry. I can click and change
    sections and those update fine, but the graphic entry doesn't.

Adding a rand photo block
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=02/12/20/1825223

    Hello, i have written something for my slash site deporteyciencia.com
    for having a nice random photo block, i try to describe the process
    first, and later put all the code. (locally) you need a lot of free
    photos (locally) you need imagemagick (locally) run the script
    create_minis.pl for creating the thumbs. Take a look to the destination
    directories. You can create a captions.txt with the syntaxis:
    filename::caption(newline)... The captions will be drawn on the image!!
    put the original images and the thumbs in your site (remote) put the
    task rand.pl in your site (and change the directories as needed)
    (remote)configure crontab for running your task daily or hourly.
    (remote) write a block who shows rand_mini_foto.jpg and links to
    rand_foto.jpg do nothing and enjoy, or try to write a way for users
    uploading photos "one day they will appear" The code:
    -------------------------------- CREATE_MINIS.PL (remember to change
    directories and have imagemagick installed)
    -------------------------------- #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict;
    #-------- config my $use_captions=1; my $background="#006699"; my
    $fore="#ffffff"; my $width="190x190"; #-------- config end my
    @files=`ls *.jpg`; my %captions=(); if ($use_captions) { open
    F_captions,"captions.txt" or die "ERROR, lack of \"captions.txt\"\n
    This file has the following
    sintaxis:\nfilename1::caption1\nfilename2::caption 2\n..."; while () {
    chomp; my ($filename,$text)=split (/::/,$_);
    $captions{$filename}=$text; } close F_captions; } foreach (@files) {
    print $_; chomp; if ($use_captions) { system("convert -resize
    $width_height $_ minis_with_captions/$_"); if($captions{$_}) {
    system("convert -box \"$background\" -font helvetica -fill \"$fore\"
    -draw \"text 0,10 \\\" $captions{$_}\\\"\" $_
    images_with_captions/$_"); system("convert -box \"$background\" -font
    helvetica -fill \"$fore\" -draw \"text 0,10 \\\" $captions{$_}\\\"\"
    minis_with_captions/$_ minis_with_captions/$_"); } else { print "Error:
    lack of captions for file $_\n"; } } else { system("convert -resize
    $width_height $_ minis/$_"); } } --------------------------------
    rand.pl (remember to change directory names)
    -------------------------------- #!/usr/bin/perl -w #coge una imagen
    aleatoriamente y la copia en rand_foto.jpg #lo mismo para una foto de
    las pequeñas, que están en /minis #llamado cada dia por una tarea use
    strict; #--- config my
    $path_in="/home/xavi/slash_2.2.5/fotos_deportivas" ; my
    $path_out="/home/xavi/slash_2.2.5/images"; #--- config end my
    $num_files=`ls $path_in/*.jpg|wc -l`; my $file=int rand $num_files; my
    $count=0; my @files=`cd $path_in;ls *.jpg`; foreach (@files) { $count
    ++; if ($count == $file) { chomp; system("cp $path_in/$_
    $path_out/rand_foto.jpg"); system("cp $path_in/minis/$_
    $path_out/rand_mini_foto.jpg"); } } -------------------------- write
    the block and config crontab for yourself. It's more easy than i can
    explain with my english level :) Thanks Krow: Yes this is a format
    nightmare but I thought I would share the submission with people
    anyways.

Topics not appearing after time
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=02/12/20/1654254

    Installed slashcode and have been modifying it. I added a topic under
    the admin section. The topic now appears when I go to "new" to create a
    new story. I removed the build-in topics and added about 7 new topics.
    The new topics are not listed in the pull-down when I try and create a
    new story. I've waited more than 24 hours and tried restarting apache,
    restarting slashd, and rebooting the web server. The topics are listed
    everywhere on the site that I can look for them *BUT* they're not
    options when creating a new story. Anyone know why?

Users can't post comments
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=02/12/19/1754214

    This is weird...I just put up a new slashsite for our dept. intranet,
    and the form to comment on a story doesn't appear when a user clicks
    "Read More" I'm guessing this is a simple matter of setting a variable,
    but I can't figure out which one. I've set the following vars:
    commentstatus = 1 defaultcommentstatus = 0 defaultdisplaystatus = 1 Any
    suggestions? Thanks.

Integrating Slash with e-commerce?
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=02/12/16/2223251

    Does anyone know of sites that have integrated Slashcode with some sort
    of e-commerce / shopping-cart system? Or, how that might best be done?
    I'm looking at open-source e-commerce packages such as, for instance,
    phpShop (http://www.phpshop.org) and osCommerce
    (http://www.oscommerce.com/) and wondering if and how they could be
    melded with Slashcode. thanks, Tim.

Spacesci
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=02/12/16/0843216

    G'DayWe have launched our new slashcode site. spacesci.org is "News and
    Information for Australian Space Researchers".Our next project will be
    a peer reviewed online journal.

Price Compare
128MB SecureDigital (SD) Card (SanDisk)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=437548

    Lowest Price: $49.95

256MB Secure Digital Card (SanDisk)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=637899

    Lowest Price: $92.00

128MB XD-Picture Card (Fuji)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=632803

    Lowest Price: $57.70

128MB Sony Memory Stick (Lexar Media)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=615823

    Lowest Price: $56.92

128MB CompactFlash Type I (SanDisk)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=457764

    Lowest Price: $39.95

Power Mac G4 (Apple)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=216734

    Lowest Price: $895.00

iMac PowerPC G4 800MHz 256MB 60GB CDRW/DVD-R (Apple)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=546009

    Lowest Price: $1794.00

XTREME - EXPLORER X4000 PC Intel Pentium 4 Processor 1.60 GHz, 256MB DDR, 40GB (Xtreme)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=551387

    Lowest Price: $558.00

Dimension 8200 (P4 2.2 GHz, 256MB, 40GB, CDRW) (Dell)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=550241

    Lowest Price: $1298.00

X3000 (AMD Thunderbird 1.2GHz, 512MB, 20GB 52X CD-ROM) (Xtreme)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=551397

    Lowest Price: $445.00

Haley's Hints by Graham Haley (Trade Cloth)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?isbn=0969287313

    Lowest Price: $13.97

Angelina Ballerina Book and Doll Set by Katharine Holabird (Trade Cloth)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?isbn=1584851945

    Lowest Price: $17.61

Haley's Cleaning Hints by Graham Haley (Trade Cloth)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?isbn=0969287348

    Lowest Price: $13.97

Prey by Michael Crichton (Trade Cloth)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?isbn=0066214122

    Lowest Price: $9.50

Soprano's Family Cookbook by Allen Rucker (Trade Cloth)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?isbn=0446530573

    Lowest Price: $17.00

Copyright (c) 2002 OSDN. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without
express written permission of OSDN is prohibited.
url - http://www.osdn.com
email - [EMAIL PROTECTED]