Hi Robert,

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:35:48 +0000
"Robert Osfield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > By the way, 'distortion meshes as custom scene graph elements' is
> > reasonable, but in my experiences, I need 'pixel level' distortion
> > in many cases.
>
> The general approach I've take could easily use a texture map to set
> up the normals, its just a matter of setting up the scene graph
> approrpriate, you can use all the normal scene graph primitive for the
> rendering of the distortion mesh.
>
> In this instance the distortion mesh usedis just an osg::Geometry
> convering the full screen, with vertices arranged as a grid, with each
> vertex having a Vec3 tex coord normal pointing into the cubemap.  The
> graphics hardware interpolates between the tex coords so that
> resulting tex coord used to look up the cubemap should be interpolated
> reasonably well.

Interesting. My distortion setup tool is intended to use with multiple
projections, and each PC renders only minimum required area into off-screen
buffer, not full cubemap, because of rendering performance.
Anyway, when I have time to work, I'll try to support these
distortion mesh output in my tool.

> > So I made a distortion/blending map creation tool
> > 'Projection Designer', and also defined the distortion map
> > as an image file which encodes pixel warp mapping in color of pixels.
> > http://orihalcon.jp/projdesigner/
> > (Projection Designer is currently Windows version only, but its Linux
> > version is almost done.)
>
> Cool, would a OSX port be possible as well? ;-)

OK, I'll try. ;-)

> My hope for the config file support for osgViewer is that it'll make
> it possible for you to output a configuration file that could be
> loaded my osgViewer based apps.
>

> > I also made osgdistortion based real-time distortion viewer:
> > http://orihalcon.jp/download/osgdistortviewer_src.zip
> > At that time I used Producer's camera configuration file to
> > specify the off-screen rendering matrixes. Maybe osgViewer also
> > need such kind of configuration data.
>
> The osgViewer config file would contain both the camera setup and the
> distortion mesh (and any textures required).  The config file format
> will be an extension of the .osg file format so it'll be possible to
> embed mini scene graphs directly into the config file, so things like
> external references to texture maps will all be possible.

Yes, the native support of camera setup configuration will
make the distortion/blending and cluster rendering be
transparent to contents. It's a really desirable solution!

Regards,

--
Toshiyuki TAKAHEI <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>