Because bundle version is an arbitrary number ... It would break a lot of code
if the bundle's version number was used for packaging. If you still want this,
and you use bnd, just set Export-Package: my.package;version=${Bundle-Version}

A MUCH better and healthier way is to keep a packageinfo file in each package
directory and keep the version there. That way you only have to change a
version of a package when you make a change. The syntax of the packageinfo file
is:

        version 1.0

This only works when you use bnd of course (which is also in the maven plugin).

Kind regards,

        Peter Kriens