[Excerpt: Minas Ibrahim al-Yussufi, secretary general of Iraq's
Christian Democratic Party, said his "kidnappers demanded the departure
of US troops from Iraq. And we, with the Committee of Muslim Scholars,
have one simple demand: a timetable for the withdrawal of American
forces."...Speaking at a press conference at the headquarters of the
Sunni committee at Baghdad's Umm al-Qura mosque, he said: "I urge (US)
President George W. Bush to rethink his plans and leave Iraq to the
Iraqis.".....Leaders of the Kurdish Alliance confirmed Saturday that
they have reached an agreement with the Shiites over the principles of
the next government and the thorny issue of the fate of the disputed
northern oil city of Kirkuk and the Kurdish peshmerga militia.]

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/050319/1/3rd88.html

Sunday March 20, 1:01 AM
Diverging Sunni positions in Iraq amid anti-war protests in Europe

Iraq's embattled Sunnis are of two minds about joining the political
process as protestors in Europe demanded an end to foreign troop
presence in Iraq two years after the US-led invasion.

And Iraqi-Swedish Christian politician freed from captivity on Friday
said he sympathised with those demands.

Minas Ibrahim al-Yussufi, secretary general of Iraq's Christian
Democratic Party, said his "kidnappers demanded the departure of US
troops from Iraq. And we, with the Committee of Muslim Scholars, have
one simple demand: a timetable for the withdrawal of American forces."

Speaking at a press conference at the headquarters of the Sunni
committee at Baghdad's Umm al-Qura mosque, he said: "I urge (US)
President George W. Bush to rethink his plans and leave Iraq to the
Iraqis."

Contrary to previous reports Yussufi said he was abducted on January 21
as he drove through the tunnel of Tahreer Square in the heart of
Baghdad.

His kidnapping was claimed by a group calling itself the Brigades of
Iraqi Vengeance in a videotape released last month showing him begging
for his life.

Yussufi's party, like most Sunnis, boycotted the landmark January 30
elections in which the long oppressed Shiites and Kurds came out on top.

The Committee of Muslim Scholars has been putting out feelers that it
would like to play a role in the drafting of a permanent constitution
and has said that it would not oppose the participation of Sunnis in the
next government. But it has not climbed down from its strong opposition
to US troop presence.

It even held a festival at its vast headquarters Saturday honoring what
it called the "martyrs and prisoners of war."

"Our martyrs are shining stars in Iraq's sky and our prisoners of war
are models of fortitude," read banners and posters splashed at the
entrance of the mosque.

The committee decided to skip a gathering of about 300 Sunni leaders
organised by the heir to Iraq's former Hashemite monarchy, Sherif Ali
bin Hussein, to urge the members of the community that dominated Iraq
under ousted leader Saddam Hussein to join the current political
process.

"Sunnis have hurt themselves by staying out of the process," said Sherif
Ali. "We are being invited to join the political process, we think it is
wise to respond to this call."

The Iraqi royal ran in the January election without winning seats in the
national assembly, which was inaugurated Wednesday.

The Shiites and Kurds have been eager to carve a role for Sunnis in the
next government, aware that the tenacious insurgency is centred in
Sunni-dominated areas like Mosul, Samarra and Al-Anbar province.

Leaders of the Kurdish Alliance confirmed Saturday that they have
reached an agreement with the Shiites over the principles of the next
government and the thorny issue of the fate of the disputed northern oil
city of Kirkuk and the Kurdish peshmerga militia.

Both sides have agreed that the issues will be dealt with in accordance
with the interim laws passed under the previous US-led occupation.

"We, the two main lists, have agreed on the principles and the door is
open now for the other lists," said outgoing Vice President Ruj Shawis
and senior member of the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP).

"We have now entered into the details of forming the government but we
need a few more sessions to reach a definitive agreement."

KDP leader Massoud Barzani met with the other Kurdish chieftain Jalal
Talabani in a resort outside the northern Kurdish town of Arbil.

"These talks will shape the destiny of the Kurdish people, so we have to
discuss them with our other brothers in as much detail as possible,"
said Talabani. He addied that he would favour the participation of as
many groupings as possible in the next government including Sunnis and
the coalition headed by outgoing prime minister Iyad Allawi.

A senior Shiite negotiator, Jawad Maliki, said a proposal had been
presented to Allawi's coalition and that an answer is expected on
Sunday.

Thousands of people, meanwhile, gathered in London brandishing posters
denouncing the "war on terror" and the US-led invasion of Iraq. There
were similar protests in Athens and several Turkish cities.

In a reminder of the daily violence plaguing Iraq two years on, three
policemen were killed and seven others wounded when a bomb exploded in
Kirkuk as the funeral cortege of a comrade killed the previous day
passed by, police chief General Turhan Yussef said.

The policeman killed on Friday died when a patrol went to investigate a
bag that two masked men had left in the street near the police academy,
and a bomb inside exploded, according to another police chief.

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_OLuKD/8WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM