DHS to Share Immigration Data with Local Departments

By ERIK SCHELZIG
Associated Press Writer
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security plans to unveil an
information-sharing program next month to give local law enforcement access
to federal immigration data.
Homeland Security and the FBI are working to electronically combine their
records on criminal and immigration offenders, said Robert Mocny, acting
director of the U.S. Visitor and Immigrant Status Indicator Technology
program.
The program's first initiative will be announced in September, and is
expected to offer state and local law enforcement more access to immigration
information, Mocny said on a panel discussing immigration issues at the
annual meeting of the National Conference of State Legislatures last week.
"What we hope this program will do is provide that one-stop shop, where
you'll see that person's criminal and immigration history," Mocny said.
Mocny said information sharing can be complicated by privacy concerns, and
that interaction with state and local law enforcement will be handled by the
U.S. Department of Justice.
The US-VISIT program collects biometric information like fingerprints and
digital photographs from foreigners seeking entry into the United States.
The system is in place in 311 air and sea ports and U.S. consulates abroad,
Mocny said.
The program has led to the arrests of more than 1,350 wanted criminals, or
people using false papers trying to enter the country.
Those arrested include "murderers in California, drug couriers in Florida
and an illegal alien who was in federal penitentiary and escaped," Mocny
said.
Mocny acknowledged that greater information sharing "sounds like something
that should have been done long ago." But technological and administrative
hurdles prevented much of that information sharing until the Sept. 11
terrorist attacks, he said.
The US-VISIT program applies to travelers between the ages of 14 and 79.
"We tell people: 'We want you to come to the U.S., we want you visit our
sights and our schools, but we want you to leave on time and respect our
laws,'" Mocny said.
http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1
<http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=32202>
&id=32202