http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/11/06/EDD7T6NQH.DTL

Studying Islam for a more peaceful world

James A. Donahue,Munir Jiwa

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Despite popular assertions that religion is at the root of the world's
problems as at no other time in recent history, closer study reveals that it
is not religion per se that is plaguing the world but the misunderstanding
of religion. Positing a divide between Islam and the West, or the religious
and the secular, not only misrepresents Islam and Muslims, but the nature
and mission of all faiths. Understanding and studying Islam is a matter of
great urgency - it is, in fact, critical, if humankind is to have a peaceful
future.

The Chronicle recently reported that despite an atmosphere of tolerance in
the Bay Area and the long history of Muslims in the United States, many of
the Bay Area's 200,000 Muslims worry that they are seen by non-Muslims as
outsiders.

How is religion so prone to being misunderstood? All too often we see
religion hijacked and twisted in the service of agendas wrought from deeply
divisive issues, fueling fear and hatred, providing fertile ground for the
politics of polarization, which serves only to further divide. Study, debate
and open dialogue, on the other hand, offer the promise of understanding and
living peacefully with each other.

Because our work is graduate education in religion centered on
interreligious dialogue, engaging one another about difference is a way of
life for us at the Graduate Theological Union. In our teaching, research and
community conferences, as well as in our day-to-day operations as a
consortium of ecumenical and interfaith graduate programs, we embrace,
rather than avoid, the critical tensions that arise from different
perspectives. A starting point for our work is the comparative study of
sacred texts - the Torah, Christian Bible and Quran. Our end goal is the
making of religious leaders and educators who will address issues of
religious pluralism and difference in local communities, the nation and the
world. Why? Because one role of religion is to cultivate civic character and
virtue so differences in the public square can be peacefully navigated and
negotiated. In this way, rather than being a dividing force, religion can be
a powerful catalyst for finding resolutions to geopolitical, economic and
social problems.

Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. To study and teach Islam
and to learn from Muslims is to understand the world and its complex and
diverse faith traditions. As the West unfortunately casts a wary eye on
Islam, it is especially important to understand Islam in a broad, interfaith
context. Today, the Graduate Theological Union will open a Center for
Islamic Studies in Berkeley that will focus on Islam as a living world
religion in a setting that includes the study of Judaism, Christianity,
Buddhism and other religious traditions.

The center will build an academic platform to help scholars and students of
many faiths understand Islam as a world religion with a theology of
pluralism and rich scholarly traditions. It also will sponsor conferences to
build bridges across religions and cultures, and it will serve as a
community liaison with Bay Area Muslims. In all of these activities, it will
offer students and the larger community the opportunity to face differences
and cooperate so even those who strongly disagree on issues might find
enough common ground and a safe space to work together on projects for the
common good.

One of our students recently asked, "Can I respectfully engage and welcome
'the other', while at the same time allowing others to be different?" This
is an immensely important question. If asked by many, it offers a glimpse of
what the Bay Area, the nation and the world could become.

The very good, but under-reported news is that interfaith dialogue and
action is well underway in scores of academic, civic and religious locations
around the world. We support these efforts. We look forward to contributing
in our own way, through interreligious education, to an understanding of
Islam that could bring the world a step closer to peace. Because whatever
name one gives to God, it seems inconceivable to us that God's purpose would
be to divide humanity.

James A. Donahue is the president of the Graduate Theological Union in
Berkeley and a professor of ethics. Munir Jiwa is a professor of Islamic
Studies and director of the Center for Islamic Studies at the Graduate
Theological Union. www.gtu.edu <http://www.gtu.edu/>